Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Skip scanning genre TV show directories?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I have my TV shows divided into genres/context directories, e.g.:
Code:
- TV Shows
   - Cartoons
      - Tom and Jerry
      - Bugs Bunny
   - Comedy
      - Frasier
      - Seinfeld
      - Stand Up
         - Pavlo Francisco
         - Jeff Dunham
         - Comedy Central
   - I Claudius
   - Master Chef
   - etc.
My TV Shows source is set to scan the root TV Shows dir.
The problem is that the scanner adds Cartoons, Comedy and Stand Up as TV shows.
They show up when browsing TV Shows and worse - they consume a lot of time when scanning content.

Is there a way to tell Kodi to not scan these directories, e.g. by adding some .notATvShow file or something like that?
Thanks.
I generally tell people to put all the TV Shows under one directory...

TV Shows\
................\Tom and Jerry
................\Bugs Bunny
................\Fraiser
.................\Etc...

Then use a scraper (I use MediaElch) to scrap each TV Show, and it will put the correct Genre in the .NFO files created (or you can even customize the Genre to your liking). Then in Kodi, you can do searches for Genre\Cartoon (Could Be Animation and Kids) and it will load all the Cartoons, or Genre Comedy and it will load all of those as well. In addition, some Skins (Ace and Aeon MQ5) allow you to add these Genre's to the Main Menu, so it's easy for Kids to find all their Cartoons, while the Wife can enjoy her Romantic Comedy's.
It's possible, but a little messy. Basically, you need to scan the sub-folders first. Then "set content" on the sub folders and check off "exclude from library updates". You can still add new shows in those sub-folders to the library, but you will just need to manually scan by selecting the sub-folder and using "Scan for new content" instead of library update.
Thanks for the replies.

I eventually decided to go for a middle ground solution: keep some sort of hierarchy and add multiple source entries to TV Shows.
The file system now looks something like this:
Code:
- TV Shows
  - Cartoons
  - Comedy
  - Rock
  - Stand UP
  - Various

I pulled the Stand UP directory outside of Comedy, pushed all top-level shows into the Various directory, and added a source for each one of the 5 top directories.

Works for me.

Thanks again.