Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: 1080p movie stutter
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello

I've seen some threads regarding this issue but it was solved by updating the kodi version. this isn't my problem. I am running the latest version.
I'm seeing some framedrops and lags on 1080p movies using kodi
it's an intel nuc i3 ivy bridge with 4gb ram
the movies are on an external usb2 2TB hard drive.
the operating system is fedora linux 21
any suggestion regarding what can cause this?

thanks

Ohad
I do believe the occasional skipped or doubled frame during playback @24p is the result of an uncorrectable Intel Ivy Bridge hardware issue, and not at all related to Kodi. The fix is either to not output at 24p, or to buy a Haswell-based system (seriously).

If your issue is more severe than that, then please be specific as to what's happening and how frequently.
is there an option to enforce a lower fps?
I'm not sure what you mean. The issue I'm referring to occurs when outputting 24fps movies at 24hz (23.976hz), due to Ivy Bridge's inability to maintain a stable clock at that low a refresh rate. The Haswell architecture specifically addresses this problem.

I have an original i3 Ivy Bridge NUC in one room, and now and again the picture will appear to stutter during playback... that's this problem. I also have a newer but far cheaper and less powerful Celeron Haswell-based HP Chromebox in another room, and its output on even the most demanding 1080p files is utterly rock solid.

To clarify, you do have the option "Adjust display refresh rate to match video" enabled, yes?
ah .
no Smile didn't have it on
hope this is the problem