Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: noob skinners software - brackets.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
if this is not posted in the best place please move accordingly, thanks

noob skinners i recommend trying Brackets, it's easy to learn, made for web design but is working well for xml.

http://brackets.io

my brackets story if interested:
when i started experimenting with skinning i needed a text editor.
notepad++ was recommend here. i was mac only at the time so tried it in wine.
it was overkill for me and not at all mac like, i wanted to learn skinning not an app.
i then found textwrangler, it is fast easy to learn and worked well for what i needed, to learn.

recently i acquired an oldish laptop. i dumped windows 7 and installed ubuntu and i like it, but that's another story.
so now i needed a new text editor for ubuntu. same problem as before. everything i tried was overkill or lacked key features i used in text wrangler.

then i found brackets mentioned in a article somewhere.
it works on OS X, Windows and Ubuntu so i now am using it on my mac and my asus laptop.
i really like this software. i think i may even try learning HTML next.

users of full blown text editors such as notepad++ and emacs will not like this at all. but for a beginner or someone learning HTML it is a game changer.

it is still in development and is FOSS i believe.
the only thing is it is backed by adobe and i do not have fond feelings for them.
but hopefully they will not use it as bait drawing us in to the empire's control.

hope this may help some would be skinners out there.
I think this would better go in the skin dev section.
If the live preview was Kodi it would be perfect.
If you're looking for a lightweight text editor on linux, I can also recommend Geany.. was my go to until I got converted to sublime Wink
Wonder if we can figure out how to get the live preview for kodi
(2015-03-28, 17:26)Mikewave Wrote: [ -> ]Wonder if we can figure out how to get the live preview for kodi
well if you are a veeery skilled programmer and have too much free time then you can give it a go. otherwise better dont wait for it and switch to sublimetext Wink
My live preview is Kodi in window mode + skin refresh mapped on F5 Tongue
Great idea
(2015-03-28, 22:13)sualfred Wrote: [ -> ]My live preview is Kodi in window mode + skin refresh mapped on F5 Tongue
that is what i have been doing also. works well so far.

@ phill65 - i loaded and looked at sublimetext it is way more than i need at this stage. still not sure what i want to do when i grow up. Smile
(2015-03-28, 22:13)sualfred Wrote: [ -> ]My live preview is Kodi in window mode + skin refresh mapped on F5 Tongue

As is everyone's I guess but imagine the time saved if you could just see your changes happening on-the-fly in a preview.
How do you set up pressing f5 to refresh the skin
Never mind I figured it out