Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Skin Files Gone Missing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am hoping someone could help me out here or else I just lost a months worth the work.

I was using XperienceXF as a base for a skin I was making and had it in appdata/roaming/kodi/addons as always. I had created and altered tons of files within the 1080i folder, changed images in the media folder, and had also changed the addon.xml (except for the skin name). Today I was looking through another skin and got a notice that fanart grabber was marked as broken and it asked me to disable. I hit yes and then Kodi froze shortly after. When I relaunched the skin was reset to Confluence and I went to switch back to XperienceXF, but it was not longer in the list. I went to check my files and the skin folder had been changed back to all the original files and mine were gone. The addon.xml was not the orginal one because it contained a broken line that Piers put in for changing the name back to Xperience1080 (the original one was I was using was easily 30 days old). I am guessing I somehow got an update from his github or something. I do not understand how I could lose all my files and work. Does anyone know if there is a location they are moved to or how to possibly recover.

I do not have a back up (stupid I know) and my windows 8 is not set to back up files. I tried a system restore to the prior day, but it did not help. I am desperate for some advice on this issue!
(2015-03-26, 02:48)ekim232 Wrote: [ -> ]and had also changed the addon.xml (except for the skin name).
skin name does not really matter, what matters is the skin id. if you dont change that then youre living at risk.
sorry, if the loss is caused by an auto-update then everyting is gone.
That's why you should use version control a la github. Wink
Just to confirm what Phil said, if you're editing a live skin without changing it's id then when there's an update for that skin from the repo (and you have automatic updates enabled) it will get overwritten. Sad
Rough lesson learned!

Well the 2nd time around should go much faster. Thanks for the information guys