Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Static whenever KODI is open
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, static noise plays through my speakers whenever I have KODI opened. I don't really know what you need for a bug report so just tell me and I'll get you all the information you need.
This really doesn't sound like a software issue, but more hardware, specifically cabling or audio section of one of the ends of the cable.

Buzz or Hum is usually AC grounding issues.
Random static is a open amplifier generating and a bit harder to pin down.

Ensure your ground lines (the outer shielding of the cables) are connected at both ends and both sides have good grounding, usually a 3 prong plug in NA. If you turn the amp volume level way down do you still hear the static? This may have something to do with the quality of the amplifier itself. Are you getting your audio through HDMI, optical, or RCA cables and what is it connected to?
That's what I initially thought too, but the sound disappears whenever I exit Kodi. I connected my TV to my PC with a 3.5mm cable.
Quote:3.5mm cable,

I presume this is a mini-jack on both ends? (clean the ends with some alcohol cleaner) Because Kodi uses some fidelity software for different modes, it's likely there is an audio setting that is not working well with your gfx/audio card and the noise is generated on the PC end. (try different settings in the audio of Kodi) Wiggle the connections or slightly unplug looking for the culprit that might be a bad mating between socket & plug.
This is the audio cable I'm using: https://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=1...1&format=2 I just cleaned both ends of the audio cable with alcohol. No luck.
Well, it looks like you might be right. I now hear the sound with KODI off. Any tips? Thanks by the way!
50 feet might explain some of your noise... clearly in that length harmonics can easily be picked up and manifest as noise. Using a shorter better shielded cable will probably end this thread. You can also put ferrite cores on both ends to try to eliminate the harmonics, but I'm a bit dubious of this solution. You should be able to plug in a 3.5mm from a headphone into your PC, if you don't get any extraneous noise in them, the issue becomes the cable or TV, given the TV is probably functioning correctly or you wouldn't even try to connect a cable to it.... by deduction, it points to the cable as your culprit. If you have a spare length of copper, you might try to connect a screw on the PC to the metal chassis of the TV (twined grounds often defeat eddy currents.)

Otherwise you'll have to come up with a different solution to transferring audio. (like digital through an HDMI cable)