Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Best option for naming convention
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm re-organizing my movie library. Previously, I had all the movies in one folder but I'm going through them and going to put them into individual folders. What I'm not sure is a couple of things:

1. Should my file structure be like this:
- movies
--- The Hobbit Collection
----- The Hobbit Movie 1
--------The Hobbit Movie (1900).mp4
----- The Hobbit Movie 2
--------The Hobbit Movie 2 (1900).mp4
----- The Hobbit Movie 3
--------The Hobbit Movie 3 (1900).mp4

Or should I remove The Hobbit Collection?

My preference would be to have the Collection folder there for when I'm searching for a movie with the file manager.

Also... I'm currently using XBMC Frodo. Is there a way I can update it without having to reload the whole OS? It is XBMCbuntu.

Lastly... I've found multiple articles on the images. That say, I have to put movie.jpg or poster.jpg to get image into XBMC. However, in the media manager programs they are suggesting Movie.Name-poster.jpg

Which is compatible? Or, are they both? I'm planning on switching to AEON. I think NOX.
Hi.

to the 1.

I use different folders for all of my movies. But I use the exact movie name for the folder. Not something like "1", "2" or "3". But I think you took those numbers only for explanations Wink

I don't use a "set" folder. So I have (The Hobbit, for example) in different folders under "movies"-folder.

-movies
--The Hobbit 1
--The Hobbit 2
--Some other movies........

It might work with those collection folder, but I think you have to enable the "scan recursivley" option in the scraper.

For updating ....(I'm not sure which OS version runs on XBMCbuntu...I think it's Ubuntu 12.04), If yes, it is a LTS (Long Term Support) version and you don't need to update the OS for now. You can simply open a terminal and do:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

and your XBMC version should be upgraded to Kodi.

3. the images....

I prefere to use "folder.jpg" for the cover and "fanart.jpg" for the fanart. Nothing else in those filesnames for me (K.I.S.S ....keep it simple and short Wink ). But I don't use any media manager programs. So this might differ and I don't know if those files are compatible ootb then.

But if not, you can still select them manually. Would be a pain with a huge library...but better than nothing Wink

Greetings
Thanks for the information. I did use 1, 2 and 3 so that I didn't have to write them out.

With regards to the upgrade I will try that.

With regards to the images. I definitely don't want to manually select them which is the whole reason I'm using a 3rd party media manager. I've just used the internal scrapers up until now, but for one reason or another I have lost the database multiple times and had to re-scan, so I would rather have the images in the folders. I'm just not sure if Kodi will pick up the Movie.Name-poster.jpg and Movie.Name-fanart.jpg. I would rather that naming convention if Kodi will pick it up. Can anyone confirm if it will work or not?
After scraping, export to seperate files.
That way you will have the scraped information stored locally in your library.

See Import-export_library#Exporting_to_separate_files (wiki)