Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Stereo AC3 force no passthrough?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, I was wondering if it would be possible for Kodi to detect stereo (< 2.1) sound tracks in AC3 or other passthrough media and force them to play instead of passing them to output. I often find myself having to switch off passthrough for that kind of videos and as it keeps that way the next time I play a 5.1 movie I may not realize it is not passing audio signal to my amplifier and forget to switch it on. So it would be ideal to have it as an option.
No one has had this kind of problem?
I don't understand how this would ever be an issue. Why would you ever need to do this? Also, if you can't tell if passthrough is on or not, then does it really matter?
Yeah, how is DD 2.1 or 2.0 being bitstreamed BAD but DD 5.1 being bitstreamed GOOD? What is your situation where you desire this?
It's more a matter of convenience, because I only use my home cinema for multichannel audio and prefer to listen stereo trough tv. But apart from that, my tv box (Matricom Midnight MX2) has a bug that is unable to correctly output stereo AC3 audio through hdmi on passthrough, so it outputs noise forcing me to use the home cinema or switch off passtrough.
Well normaly passing through ac3 (doesn't matter how much channels) is identical (its always passed via an 2.0 pcm stream - and it can contain from 2.0 to 5.1 encoded channels). I think this is a matter of equipment. I had no problem with any TV accepting AC3 streams (no matter how many channels).

I'd rather like the root cause fixed instead of crafting strange workarounds.