Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Cutting the cord
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Good Afternoon,

I'm looking into a way to cut the cord. I'm currently running into a few issues and would like to know more to make a better informed decision. I'm not sure about What OS to run yet but couldn't create a topic in General.

I have 2 current setups

1 HP Chromebox running Openelec using default hardware with 2, 3 tb external drives using Network cable.
1 Non Branded Celeron 1037U system with Dual Wifi and 8 GB mSSD and a 1 TB external HD Running Openelec

What i'm looking to be able to do is simple I currently have Amazon Prime and wish to get Hulu Plus. I have attempted to load Hulu Plus from SuperRepo for Openelec but the Download gives me a 404 page

So What am I looking at.. I'm I going down the wrong path or and I going in the right direction
OpenELEC is a stripped Linux installation with the sole purpose of running OpenELEC and a few things on the side. Anything that's not provided needs to be installed including dependencies. For a novice that can be quite a hassle.

If you want to use Linux I think Kodibuntu is a better platform for what you're trying to achieve, but it might be some of those services basically require a Windows install (like Netflix used not to run on Linux without jumping through a lot of hoops).

Hope it works out Smile
I'm not opposed to moving to Windows, I just want to make sure I get the correct version that give me the best experience.
I have been using BMC/Kodi since my og xbox
So i'm still looking to do this but I was wondering. Currently I'm running on a HP chromebox. Is this going to really be strong enough to do the job I need? I can bump the ram to 8 gb
You really don't need 8 GB RAM for this. Kodi itself can get by quite well on 1 GB RAM, more is not of much use to Kodi itself.
Thank you, I think I'll be installing the \Windows Version on my Celeron 1037U and see if it helps with my powering off issue.