Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: New NUC running Openelec - SSD size?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

I am taking my first steps into Kodi, and have decided to build an Intel NUC for the task. I know that Openelec runs with a really small footprint, which I like, BUT, setting up a media library (at this time around 400 movies, 2-3000 TV episodes) I'm concerned about how large my SSD will need to be to support storage of the library without issues.

I'm only going to be using Kodi for Movies, TV Shows, Weather and maybe music. I'm not going to be using any Live TV functions so is anyone able to tell me whether a 256GB SSD would be sufficient for that task? Would that allow me enough space for my library to grow?

Thanks for any information you can provide. (and apologies if I've posted in the wrong forum!)
You could always keep a smaller local disk and leverage an external drive for the storage space.
Do you want to store the 400 movies and 2-3000 TV Episodes on the SSD?

If so, 256GB is definitely too small. Even at SD resolutions that is around 1TB worth of content.

Currently running a Chromebox on the standard 16GB SSD without any issues - all media stored elsewhere.
16GB would be more than ample for what you require, even 8GB would be sufficient - the space required for your library would be less than 2GB with all thumbnails cached. It's the Thumbnail cache that can grow to a unreasonable size (bloat) if you let it.
ant_thomas - No, definitely not! All movies & TV episodes are stored on an external UnRAID server - I'm just using the NUC for interface and playback duties.

Milhouse - Thanks for that! It sounds like the build I have in mind will be more than adequate for what I have in mind. Looking forward to it! :-)
(2015-03-31, 20:10)Roscoe62 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi all,

I am taking my first steps into Kodi, and have decided to build an Intel NUC for the task. I know that Openelec runs with a really small footprint, which I like, BUT, setting up a media library (at this time around 400 movies, 2-3000 TV episodes) I'm concerned about how large my SSD will need to be to support storage of the library without issues.

I'm only going to be using Kodi for Movies, TV Shows, Weather and maybe music. I'm not going to be using any Live TV functions so is anyone able to tell me whether a 256GB SSD would be sufficient for that task? Would that allow me enough space for my library to grow?

Thanks for any information you can provide. (and apologies if I've posted in the wrong forum!)
I have the original celeron NUC running openelec off a 30 or 32gb ssd. Works a treat. All my media is on my netgear NAS on my network.
+1 as Milhouse said...

It sounds as you have all your media on an unraid server already. If that is the case, you do not need much.
Lots of people have the Chromebook with 16GB and the FireTV with 8GB.