Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Isengard beta1 unsmooth playback
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

since the upgrade to Isengard beta1, i'm facing some sort of unsmooth video playback the fps keeping jumping between 23.4 and 24.4fps with both soft or hard decoding.
i think also the gui menus looks a bit laggy, fps keep playing up & down between 45 and 60.4fps

debug log

cheers
this is a measured value and can can jump as much as it wants. what exactly is the issue? any drops or skips?
no drops or skips. just bcs it was static at 23.978 in previous builds i tought it's kind of issue.

thanks
I think I'll remove this useless parameter from the codec screen. It does more harm than any good Smile
Please dont.
(2015-04-03, 09:46)uNiversal Wrote: [ -> ]Please dont.

I won't if you can tell me exactly what it shows.
I always thought (rightly or wrongly) It shows Source framerate and if source contains VFR value then its fluctuates doesn't it? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_frame_rate

At least I always though that variation described here by OP which also found a great explanation here https://support.shinywhitebox.com/hc/en-...-Explained accounted for this value.

Handbrake has this sort of explanation https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/FramerateGuide

Of course I could be wrong and If so, then dont jump down my throat. Smile and please teach me what it is actually then

haha Big Grin

* un1versal hides Big Grin
yes hide Smile
fps shows a rough average of gui frames per second. It measures how often a function is called in one second. the result suffers from dirty regions, vsync, and rounding errors.
now do you think this is of any interest for users?
yes it is, as its often the only (easy) way to check if your hardware switched to the correct refresh rate and if it can keep up e.g. for deinterlacing or 1080p60 on low end hardware.

Yes, it does confuse users at times, so maybe have it say "Avg fps" and put an explanation on the wiki?
There's all kinds of users, for the nerdier kind, sure is interesting to look at the values and see what's what.. (hence why I did quite a lot of work on the codecinfo page)

Thanks for explaining it fernet did learn something!
I suspected somewhere in back of my mind it would be something unrelated to what I said and something to do with what you explained, but didn't actually think that would be what the values meant. (not that its a total loss when you actually know)

But now I know for sure what it means, thanks to your concise explanation.

So is VFR measured (if any) in the Player field? http://kodi.wiki/view/Codecinfo

P) Fr:24.00 or is it not measured at all?

The VFR would be helpful to see tbh rather than the values you explained (though not a total waste), depending on source material and the actual source fps, if that would be possible it would be nice.

If you like, I can add that titbit to the codecinfo page (so non nerds and nerds alike dont make false assumptions) if you decide not to rip it out completely.
If you decide to do something else for the nerds instead, I will also be happy to wikify that for you.

thanks again.
(2015-04-03, 18:01)wsnipex Wrote: [ -> ]yes it is, as its often the only (easy) way to check if your hardware switched to the correct refresh rate and if it can keep up e.g. for deinterlacing or 1080p60 on low end hardware.

Yes, it does confuse users at times, so maybe have it say "Avg fps" and put an explanation on the wiki?

It won't tell you anything about refresh rate switching. Assume source fps 24fps. In full screen video fps will show approx. 24 though refresh rate is at 60. For an indication whether a system can keep up the pace watch skip/drop counters.
Guess I didn't express myself well. What I meant wasn't that you see the real refresh rate, but if the file plays at the intended(as is source fps) rate.
(2015-04-03, 18:01)wsnipex Wrote: [ -> ]yes it is, as its often the only (easy) way to check if your hardware switched to the correct refresh rate and if it can keep up e.g. for deinterlacing or 1080p60 on low end hardware.

(2015-04-03, 19:56)wsnipex Wrote: [ -> ]Guess I didn't express myself well. What I meant wasn't that you see the real refresh rate, but if the file plays at the intended(as is source fps) rate.
No hide please Smile
It's the first thing I check with new kodi installs or new rigs.
It won't come back. Check skip / drops from now on. If it helps - i can write the refreshrate value into that field - rock solid and stable, then.
Ill update wiki with fernet's explanation asap Codecinfo (wiki) explains what these things do (it took me a while to scarpe that info from all manners of places and I feel it could b e more accurate)... If anyone who knows these values more intimately could have a look, and note any worthwhile information about what wiki explains, in order to make this page more accurate would be great.