Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Amazon Fire TV stick remote file source with dns name
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have an Amazon fire TV stick and would like to add my synology Nas as a remote file source for my media via my DynDNS address. Has anyone able to do this successfully? If so, how do you set it up and what protocol/ports do you use?

I've tried using webdav since that's what synology's own remote apps use, but have had no luck. It always says "unable to connect. " Thanks in advance!
You want to access your files thru internet?
Setting your sources ip as your internet one means you have to setup your router to actually forwards the proper ports to your NAS from the internet.
The NAS does that for me and the ports have been forwarded. Like I said, it works just fine using the synology remote app. Is it the dns name that's causing problems?
Take a look at th epossible solution in this thread:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...t=synology
(2015-04-02, 19:45)EricHoya Wrote: [ -> ]Take a look at th epossible solution in this thread:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...t=synology

Thanks for the link, but unfortunately, that forum post they are referring to is no longer available. Also, that OP appeared to have a problem connecting to his Nas on his home network. I can connect to it that way, just not remotely.
I have a source setup accessing from outside home wifi. Works fine.
Synology has a ddns setup. You must open port from the nas, so firewall lets it through.

Then just create source with add video, browse, scroll down to add networksplace, change protocoll to webdav,
Fill in port you opened in firewall, serveradress to ddns, user and password.

Good luck!
(2015-04-02, 21:33)hovnarr Wrote: [ -> ]I have a source setup accessing from outside home wifi. Works fine.
Synology has a ddns setup. You must open port from the nas, so firewall lets it through.

Then just create source with add video, browse, scroll down to add networksplace, change protocoll to webdav,
Fill in port you opened in firewall, serveradress to ddns, user and password.

Good luck!

Thank you! I was using the webdav port synology uses (5005, I think). You're saying I need to choose a different port?
No i use the 5005 too. I forgot to mention you need to open the port in your router too. I also have a Synology Nas, I opened the port in the built in firewall. If i remember correctly.
Have you activated webdav in Controlpanel, Fileservices? My language is in Swedish, but i think its File Services?
The port is open and webdav is enabled. I can access my media remotely with the synology apps though webdav just fine. Maybe I'm using the wrong file path? I'm entering it like this:

Network path: mydyndnsname
File path: diskstation/video/movies/
Port: 5005
Username: my nas user name
Password: my Nas password
Sorry for wrong answer. I have checked my settings now and how I do it.

Use this:

File path:

Once you done this steps a new address will appear among your others. Choose this new address and then you will be logged into your nas. Choose folder and push ok. Name your source and it should be fine. You can double check your address with mark it and edit option would appear like this:

dav://username:password@mydyndsnsname:5005/video/movies
(2015-04-03, 13:36)hovnarr Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry for wrong answer. I have checked my settings now and how I do it.

Use this:

File path:

Once you done this steps a new address will appear among your others. Choose this new address and then you will be logged into your nas. Choose folder and push ok. Name your source and it should be fine. You can double check your address with mark it and edit option would appear like this:

dav://username:password@mydyndsnsname:5005/video/movies

Ohh.. So you don't set the file path first? Just leave it blank, but fill in everything else and then you choose the file path after? I've tried everything, but have not tried that! I'll give that a try when I get home! Thanks!
Yes
Quick update. I have spmc on my phone, so I tried it out just now. It worked! I'll try it on my fire TV stick when I get home, but I have a good feeling that this will work! Thanks so much! I'll report back after I try it tonight.
Nice to hear! Thats the strength with forum, to share knowledge. Help and get help.

Good luck and have a nice Easter Kodi members!
Pages: 1 2