Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: HW that gives HD audio
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all,

Been a minute, still running XBMC on an AMD Fusion platform with Windows 7. Went this route back in the day because I wanted DTS-HD and Dolby HD audio to work.

Looking to upgrade my hardware. I can do any Windows OS, or use one of the direct installs that are available. I guess I prefer Windows, as it opens also using it as a PC when needed(and I can install the Squeezebox server on it).

I am looking at the Intel NUC's, specifically NUC5i3RYK.

Basically, my question is does this platform support HD audio with kodi?

If it does, what flavor of Kodi will be needed, like Windows, Linux, etc.

Thanks for the help, I am sure this has been asked a million times. I did my googling, but can't seem to find the answers I am looking for. Could be the whiskey........
A Windows NUC can pass HD audio, but I'm not sure if Kodi could do that on Windows.
(2015-04-03, 15:31)VidOn.me-Wolly Wrote: [ -> ]A Windows NUC can pass HD audio, but I'm not sure if Kodi could do that on Windows.

I use Windows 8.1 and don't have any problems.
Pretty sure Kodi runs fine under Windows with HD Audio if the OS + HDMI Audio drivers indicate the HD Audio formats as supported in the Sound Control panel properties.
If you want HD audio and want an OS with Kodi, then Windows is the best platform in my experience.
HD audio also works on Linux. I ran Ubuntu 13.04 a year or so ago and had HD audio working. It took some messing around to get it to work but it did work. I forget what I did but I am sure it is documented somewhere.

And that NUC is a great box. HD audio should work out of the box with Windows.
(2015-04-03, 22:43)z31fanatic Wrote: [ -> ]If you want HD audio and want an OS with Kodi, then Windows is the best platform in my experience.
HD audio also works on Linux. I ran Ubuntu 13.04 a year or so ago and had HD audio working. It took some messing around to get it to work but it did work. I forget what I did but I am sure it is documented somewhere.

And that NUC is a great box. HD audio should work out of the box with Windows.

OpenElec is usually close to faultless and no-messing when it comes to HD Audio on Intel and nVidia (no experience of AMD)
I know that but he wants to have an operating system too, not just Kodi.