Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Best Windows OS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm currently running OpenElec on a Pi 2. I'm extremely disappointed as it either constantly reboots on it's own or I have to reboot to break a lockup. I've installed Kodi 14.2 on Gigabyte Gaming system running Win 8 and it seems to work flawlessly. I was thinking about building an HTPC with a dedicated box that would fit into my entertainment center using an older Socket 775 motherboard. What would be the minimal Windows OS to use to run Kodi. I'm not a Windows Fanboy, but reality is, more applications are ported to windows than other OS's.
Windows 7/8/8.1
For the pi make sure the power supply is correct I have seen where the one the recommend reboots the pi a lot when trying to play large files. By the way win 8.1 works great.
Never had any reboot issue on my rpi 2 with Openelec. So try a new clean install with a new power supply
If you go the Win route, look into the Zotac Zbox BI320 or the HP Stream mini. Both have threads on this forum.

But if you already have a gaming PC and just need a box for streaming/Kodi, I would go for a set-top-box such as the AFTV, or anything less than $100.

Also read the "Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)"
I you are going Windows then W8.1 is the best to use.
No dev uses windows 8, until the DX11 dxva rewrite is integrated I would highly avoid any Windows 8 ... cause no one that is coding your video / audio code is running it at all.
I haven't seen any issue when testing with Windows 8.1. *shrug*
While fritsch is pretty much correct, I also haven't had any problems with 8.1. My best guess is that 8.1 or 7 will both be good enough until 10 shows up, and then everyone will migrate to 10 en masse.
(2015-04-03, 19:09)spinnerator Wrote: [ -> ]I'm currently running OpenElec on a Pi 2. I'm extremely disappointed as it either constantly reboots on it's own or I have to reboot to break a lockup.

Sounds like you have power supply issues to me.
Agreed with speedwell68, the OP has a power supply issue which is likely then causing SD card problems as well.
This should be easily sorted.
OpenElec on a RPi2 is probably as stable as Kodi gets.