Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Strange Pause/Lag Kodi 14.x
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
OK first off I tried searching for a fix before posting this, so I apologise if this is brought up elsewhere.

The problem is only with the Kodi 14.x build for me, everything works perfectly on XMBC Gotham 13.2 (I have tried Kodi 14.1, 14.2rc1 and the current "stable" 14.2 but had to rollback)

Basically when watching a video locally or via steam the video pauses for second before continuing (video catches up with itself) approximately every 5 or so minutes (sound unaffected). Thing is, I also noticed the mouse pointer would pause when navigating menus as well, so it's not restricted to just playing video, it's affecting the GUI navigation as well. Why 13.2 works and 14.2 causes this issue is beyond me, something has changed in the code to cause this glitch for my system.

Whilst I am happy using 13.2, the NBC Sports Live Extra addon apparently now only works with 14.x so if I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place now unless I can figure out the problem with 14.2, any advice greatly appreciated.

My PC isn't exactly a slouch either:
Asus Rampage IV Black Edition
Intel i7 4930K CPU
Kingston HyperX 32Gb 2400MHz Quad Rail DDR3
GeForce GTX 780Ti (latest drivers)
Kingson HyperX SSD 250Gb + Western Digital 4Tb Black Caviar
Just wondering if anyone has anyone ever had this issue or am I the only person lol. Have just tried Kodi 16 final and it's still the same. I can't understand why Gotham 13.2 works perfectly and the latest build of Kodi gives me this issue. Tbh I don't get any benefit from "upgrading" when the old version works fine for me, I would have expected a significant improvement yet it seems something has changed in the code which has "broken" it for me. If anyone has any kind of insight I would be grateful as my concern is that 13.2 may become unusable with certain add-ons in the future.
Im taking a stab in the dark here but have you tried checking if your graphics GPU driver has an update. if you are using a laptop try 'High Performance' in 'Power options'. I fixed video lag problems on my laptop about 2 years ago by switching from 'Balanced' to 'High Performance'. If you are on high performance try restoring high performance to default settings.
Thanks, but my rig is always kept up to date and set to high performance (specs are in original post). It's just baffling that XMBC 13.2 works flawlessly and every build of Kodi from 14 onwards causes this glitch! I wish I knew why. Guess I will have to stick with what works, even if it is an older build.
Forgive me if I'm trying to tell my grandmother how to suck eggs here ;-) but are you installing the latest GPU/Chipset driver from the 'Important Optional' updates in Windows update? Or are you installing the latest drivers as listed by your GPU manufacturer?
With my laptop the latest driver (higest version number) as Windows update says should be installed causes the problem you describe, not just with Kodi but any media player vlc, Windows Media Player etc. According to my chipset manufacturers website the latest driver (lower version number) is the latest and works flawlessly even with an extended monitor. With it I can watch video in full screen on Kodi on the extended monitor and have Chrome on youtube playing HD video on the laptops own screen and its smooth. Installing the higher numbered version as Windows update insists and all hell breaks loose, can't even plug the extended monitor in without BSD!
Check to see if tbe version windows update says is the latest is the same as what you chipset manufacturer says is the latest.
Might it be worth trying a newer build just to see if you have the same problems?