Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Amcodec disabled
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I have a Beelink MXQ S805 box which comes preloaded with a custom version of XBMC (13.4) compiled in Dec/14. This build runs fine.

I loaded SPMC 14.2 on it last night and the only way I can get videos to play properly is to disable AMcodec under the Accelleration settings. Am I crippling the capability of the hardware by disabling this?
If I leave it enabled, the video is shifted quite a bit down low which leaves a large black bar at the top of the screen and cuts off the bottom third of the image.

I get the same results when I loaded Kodi 14.2.

Any help/suggestions is appreciated!
So my question is, what exactly does the amcodec HW accelleration do compared to libstage and mediacodec?

Amcodec wasn't an option in Gotham so what is the big advantage to having amcodec setting?
amcodec is specifically for AMLogic-based devices, while libstagefright and mediacodec are more like generic APIs for Android. amcodec has been around since v13, but might not have been enabled on your newer device that has a newer AMLogic SoC.

If you don't see any performance issues when amcodec is disabled then I wouldn't worry about it. It's possible mediacodec is enough to handle the situation, or that your device has enough raw CPU power to software decode things. I'm not sure on the exact details as I am not a developer myself, but I do know that any issues you might see are typically very noticeable. For example, the most common issue would be stuttering in the video playback. Quality wise, there shouldn't be any real difference between the playback methods, as far as I know.