Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Hardware acceleration on Intel-based Android device
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I tried to install kodi on Intel-based Android device (Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2, the CPU is Intel Z3745D), both stable and nightly (x86 builds). Every time I try to play h.264 encoded mp4-file, the CPU load is about 50% on 2 of 4 cores. The hardware acceleration is turned on, both MediaCodec and libstagefight.
If I turn the acceleration off, the CPU load doesn't change.
Does it mean that acceleration simply doesn't work? Is there a way to make it work?
http://kodi.wiki/view/Android_hardware

Don't see you CPU on the list.
If you press "O" you will see the decoder as; dc:ff-h264-dxva2, when DXVA2 is not enabled this line will read dc:ff-h264.

So probably not being hardware video accelerated.
That's disappointing. Do you think there's a chance this CPU will be supported eventually?

btw, it says that the decoder is dc:amc-h264. I thought it supposed to be hardware accelerated. And still, 2 of 4 CPU cores are at 50% load - a bit too much, I believe
Its not really the CPU, but the SOC for the VPU that would do the leg work due to being integrated. The support comes down to hardware API support in the form of firmware from manufacturer, not really up to the KODI team. Only some chipset that even though can support HW acceleration are limited or partial due to API restrictions.
I'm sure once firmware API becomes available to devs they will provide support for it in future releases/ports.
Is there an actual playback issue or your only concern is the cpu usage?

Amc-h264 means h/w acceleration is working.
(2015-04-10, 00:27)Koying Wrote: [ -> ]Is there an actual playback issue or your only concern is the cpu usage?

Amc-h264 means h/w acceleration is working.

My concern is mostly cpu usage: the battery on my tablet dies pretty quickly if I use kodi to play videos.

I do understand that amc-h264 means that the playback is hardware accelerated, I just don't understand why there's no difference in cpu load whether kodi uses hardware acceleration or software one.
For a 1,86GHz x86 cpu having 2 cores work at 50% load doesn't look like a normal h/w accelerated play mode.
So I think there's something wrong with the way kodi works with MediaCodec system in this particular tablet. Is there a way to check what the problem might be?
And how much is the cpu usage when Kodi does not playback and when Kodi is off?
Kodi can be a cpu hog on its own, it was not created with mobile devices in mind Wink
(2015-04-10, 07:29)Koying Wrote: [ -> ]And how much is the cpu usage when Kodi does not playback and when Kodi is off?
Kodi can be a cpu hog on its own, it was not created with mobile devices in mind Wink

I checked cpu usage with 'top' command while playing video with different apps
vlc:
org.videolan.vlc - 6%
/system/bin/mediaserver - 6%
/system/bin/surfaceflinger - 3%

standard media player:
/system/bin/mediaserver - 9%

kodi:
org.xbmc.kodi - 10%
/system/bin/mediaserver - 6%

Without playing video the cpu load of org.xbmc.kodi process is about 18%
Without kodi running the cpu load is about 1%

I couldn't find a way to check load of each individual cpu core for vlc and standard media player