Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: KODIBUNTU problems
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,

I successfuly installed Kodibuntu to my HTPC however I have few small problems with functionality.

1) I am unable to shutdown or suspend directly from Kodi (hanging and only reset helps), however when I exit kodi and do shutdown from env itself it works well.
2) when I insert CD/DVD to my DVD ROM drive, I can see that new folder (with name of CD) is added to files folder, but it do not mount CDROM but rood directory and CD itself is not mounted at all. So I am unable to read files from CD/DVD.
3) when I trying to delete a folder with files, it does delete files in folder, but not folder itself. it is anoying, but I can live with it.
4) audio passtrough is not working correctly. When I enable it, there is no sound for some files with DD/DTS and DD/DTS is not recognized, when I disable it it do not send DD/DTS to receiver obviously.

thank you,

Ogre RO
If you insert a CD/DVD there should a menu option 'play disc' come up and you should be able to play this disc.

And you say this wont work, or did i grt something wrong? Which skin are you using?
I use NEON. And I have CD/DVD with files , not a real dvd. All I need is that DVD is mounted as new folder in files folder so that I can browse and play files.
(2015-04-11, 02:25)Ogre_RO Wrote: [ -> ]I use NEON. And I have CD/DVD with files , not a real dvd. All I need is that DVD is mounted as new folder in files folder so that I can browse and play files.

Is the user you are logging into your KodiBuntu machine a member of this group?

Code:
cdrom

Your user needs to be a member of this group to be able to mount any CD/DVD-ROM

How to check and add your user to the ubuntu group cdrom on your Kodiubuntu PC:

1. Open a terminal by pressing CTRL+ALT+F1 and login.
  2. Once logged in type
    Code:
    groups username
    where username is the user you use to log in to your Kodiubuntu computer then press ENTER.
  3. Check for the group
    Code:
    cdrom
    is in the list of groups that are displayed.
  4. If the group cdrom is missing for your user, add your user in by typing the following:
  5. Code:
    sudo addgroup username cdrom
    where username is the user you use to log in to your Kodiubuntu computer.
  6. After adding the user, type
    Code:
    logout
    and then press ENTER.
  7. To go back to Kodi, press CTRL+ALT+F7 on your keyboard.
  8. Restart your PC and try inserting your CD/DVD and see if you can browse it in Kodi via the File Manager (see Kodi Wiki)

I do not know if file manager can be accessed with the skin you are using but for Confluence (Kodi default skin) it is in the SYSTEM tab.
No need to add the user to this group, brecause the user should already be part of it....checked on my own fresh installed system:

Quote:david : david adm dialout cdrom floppy sudo audio dip video plugdev users lpadmin sambashare

and I didn´t add any user to any group. So this is the standard and i don´t even have a drive connected Wink. Unless a new user was created after installation. But I doubt that.

Quote:I use NEON. And I have CD/DVD with files , not a real dvd. All I need is that DVD is mounted as new folder in files folder so that I can browse and play files.

Please don´t be vague. First answer my question from above, please. Does a "play disc" option pops up in the main menu after you inserted the disc? Please use skin confluence to confirm.

What kind of files are on this CD/DVD?

Can please paste a Debug Log after you inserted this disc?
(2015-04-11, 02:25)Ogre_RO Wrote: [ -> ]I use NEON. And I have CD/DVD with files , not a real dvd. All I need is that DVD is mounted as new folder in files folder so that I can browse and play files.

Option play disk wont work with disks with non standard VIDEO_TS I dont think.. If you wish to browse disk and play such files is, GOTO VIDEOS (main menu) > Files (submenu) > (select DVD/CD folder/icon) Browse and play files as you wish.

That above is with Confluence, Im unfamiliar with NEON, however if you have those Menu option in NEON should work the same.
Hi,

thanx to all your proposals.
Here are my findings.

1) I can go to console with CTRL-ALT-F2 - not sure why.
2) I confirmed that cdrom is in group.
3) After I switched back to Kodi (CTRL-ALT-F7) a window pop-up with four options and I could play files (video and pictures)
4) I tried than a standard DVD and PLAY DISK option was in menu (NEON)
5) once I rebooted (with no disk in drive) it didn't work again even after same steps (go to console and back)
6) when I rebooted again (with disk in drive) files were under DVD folder in files
7) I noticed that when DVD worked I was able to reboot or shutdown as well, while when DVD didnt work Shutdown process hang and didnt continue.
8) my conclusion it keep working and not working on random basis, I tried to review kodi logs on my used in console but there are only irelevant errors from kodi. Nothing from system.

Ogre
Does the "play disc" option comes up every time using a standard DVD? Even you can't browse the CD/DVD with those mysterious files on it (which we still not know of).

Nevertheless...can you please paste a Debug Log? I won't ask again for it.
That behaviour you describe, is part of an old, very old bug, but none cares about optical drive mounting issues for the longest time, as most developers claim they dont have optical drives anymore. Its only been an issue for 5 years at least.

Now for the good part, re-read my previous post. PLAY DISC is no good for the non standard DVD's like the ones you trying, you need to goto files or filemanager (from the pop up you get or after.

Use default skin please

Log will be mostly useless, but in any case pastebin a couple of Debug Log , just to see whats going on on those circumstances you describe.. Two logs of when you insert disk again and doesn't work and when it does pop up.

thx
The reason I asked for the kind of file on this dvd or the question if a standard dvd gives the menu option is, if a normal dvd is mounted fine and a non-standard dvd is not?!

Maybe this can be solved with a udev rule?

I cant explain, why a normal dvd might be mounted fine and gives the specific menu option and a non standard dvd (with a bunch of files on it for example) is not mounted, as it seems he can't browse it the normal way.

So the logfile might show some differences between a normal dvd and a non standard dvd
Link to log : http://xbmclogs.com/peowtyzbz

It works on adhoc basis , sometimes it works sometimes it does not.

Ogre
Guys,

what about problems 1) and 4).
Number 1) shutdown problem bothers me most, but also patsstrough would be great Smile

Roman
You didn't play any file in your log to see why the passthrough failed.

Please reproduce your passthrough issue and then grab the log.

You can do some screenshots from your audio settings, too please. Maybe it's something obviosus.

Cant help for your shutdown problem. You can try to shutdown and if it freezes you could try if it is still possible to ssh in and grab a log of this, too.

Please be aware to reboot before your try to reproduce your issue, to keep the log clean and as small as possible.
Btw...i cant see any receiver on your HDMI ports. Only:

Quote:18:40:11 T:140126061983680 NOTICE: Device 3
18:40:11 T:140126061983680 NOTICE: m_deviceName : hdmi:CARD=HDMI,DEV=1
18:40:11 T:140126061983680 NOTICE: m_displayName : HDA Intel
18:40:11 T:140126061983680 NOTICE: m_displayNameExtra: MEI Panasonic-TV on HDMI #1
18:40:11 T:140126061983680 NOTICE: m_deviceType : AE_DEVTYPE_HDMI
18:40:11 T:140126061983680 NOTICE: m_channels : FL,FR
18:40:11 T:140126061983680 NOTICE: m_sampleRates : 32000,44100,48000

As far as i can see, it's a TV which is plugged in and not a receiver.

If you are sure, that a receiver was plugged in as you grabbed the log, be aware, that the htpc should be turned on as the last device in the chain. Otherwise you will get handshake issues which can cause passthrough issues as well.
Hi,

I will reprodure all possible issues.
First I will do passtrough issue as it is easy to reproduce.
Second I will try to suspend and once it freeze I have to recycle computer. Not sure whether log will have info about problem but will upload immediately after restart.

Regarding receiver as I had problem with HDMI connected to Receiver, so I moved to SPDIF Optical output from HTPC to Receiver and HDMI goes directly to TV.

Ogre
Pages: 1 2