Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi (Kodi 15.0) Part 2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2015-05-01, 00:38)DistantSynAck Wrote: [ -> ]Try plugging the RPi into another HDMI port on the TV. CEC might only work on port 1. If you are plugging into an AV receiver then that will go in HDMI 1 on the TV and the RPi should go into HDMI 1 on the AV receiver. I looked up this unit and I didn't see any mention of CEC capability but most manufactures don't mention it anymore or re-brand it. A call to the vendor of the TV might confirm that CEC is available.

I tried both HDMI ports and the menu has a CEC On/Off setting and OE said CEC device detected, so it does have some sort of CEC but it must be some weird version that doesn't work with the Pi. Apparently it's not very standardized, even amongst sets from the same manufacturer.
New OpenELEC Isengard build #0508: RPi / RPi2
(Supercedes previous build)

Code:
# uname -a
Linux rpi512 4.0.1 #1 Fri May 8 21:03:54 BST 2015 armv6l GNU/Linux

# vcgencmd version
May  1 2015 18:56:06
Copyright (c) 2012 Broadcom
version f5f5ba5f2423c3dff6ccd4ca4b832264cd33f12a (clean) (release)

# lsb_release
OpenELEC (Milhouse) - Version: devel-20150508210306-#0508-gadea9a8 [Build #0508]

# vcdbg log msg 2>&1 | grep DTOK
001528.162: Kernel trailer DTOK property says yes

# Kernel device tree status: Enabled

Based on tip of OpenELEC master (adea9a8b, changelog) and tip of XBMC master (e7446ab6, changelog) with the following modifications: Build Highlights:
  1. Move DTS HD 8 channel support option to System -> Audio output, and make dependent on Passthrough
Build Details:
  1. OpenELEC:
    • libva-intel-driver: pick field_rate workaround for mcdi and madi on Gen6 (PR:4135, 1 commit, 1 file changed)
    • linux: update to linux-4.0.2 (e8cd8e8f)
    • sqlite: update to sqlite-autoconf-3081000 (adea9a8b)
  2. XBMC:
    • IMX: Fix path to edid on default imx kernel (PR:7084, 1 commit, 1 file changed)
    • Fixed OS X i386 Xcode builds on x86_64 build machines (PR:7085, 1 commit, 1 file changed)
    • Revert "[ActiveAE] - ActiveAESink: Change several LOGNOTICE to LOGDEB… (PR:7086, 1 commit, 1 file changed)
    • dvdplayer: fix display time after 43b6cf683abf16bc41e9b7f624a678c285c… (PR:7083, 1 commit, 1 file changed)
    • addons: pvr and audiodecoder are optional addons, disable by default (PR:7061, 1 commit, 3 files changed)
    • SysfsUtils: silence some warnings (PR:7082, 1 commit, 1 file changed)
    • added: allow setting connection timeout for curl urls (PR:6914, 1 commit, 1 file changed)
    • [pi/players] Make use of new scheme to submit DTS timestamps (PR:7088, 1 commit, 6 files changed)
  3. platform:
  4. newclock4:
    • New commits in this build:
      • renderer: Use a structure for information passed from renderer to codec (58171c82)
      • [mmalcodec] Remove dropping logic. It only seems to make things worse (2c1c4fb3)
      • [mmal] Add some sanity checks to mmal flags (fc154f29)
      • Use dcadec on IMX and RPI - move setting to audio output (010dbbbf)
      • build: Add vcsm lib (1fc7952e)
      • [cec] re-implement 'RFC' style POLLing for LA registering process (c1a6fe1c)
    • Commits no longer in build:
      • [mmalcodec] Remove the decoder queue and use gpu timestamps (e500dfea)
      • [mmalrenderer] Remove dropping logic. It only seems to make things worse (f438f24c)
      • [players] Make use of new scheme to submit DTS timestamps (8c0ecb6b)
      • [mmalcodec] flags debug (1adffe0e)
      • renderer: Allow an opaque pointer to be passed from renderer to codec (1714c746)
      • mmal: testing give preference to dts timestamp (f7e70179)
      • omxplayer: testing give preference to dts timestamp (137eaf1d)
  5. kernel 4.0.y:
    • New commits in this build:
      • vchiq: Fix wrong condition check (c7f63111)
      • Merge pull request #960 from pranith/rpi-4.0.y (41a5ce7c)
  6. Additional commits/pull requests/changes not yet merged upstream:
(2015-05-09, 01:52)afremont Wrote: [ -> ]Upgraded from #0417 to #0507 and now the video add-on for HDHomeRun Live TV only shows a black screen, but audio is coming through fine. This seems to match what the Kodi 15 Isengard builds do on Windows 7. Any ideas on where to turn to next? It was working so good with 0417 too.

And in which build does the problem start? It's going to be somewhere between #0418 to #0507. You might also want to get in touch with the HDHomerun developer if this same problem is multi-platform.

(2015-05-09, 01:52)afremont Wrote: [ -> ]Also getting small audio dropouts about every 4 seconds when watching live TV from a WMC machine. Never saw that problem before. Turning off the sync audio option (was set to adjust PLL) seems to have stopped it from having the audio dropouts. It did play the Spanish track (1/2) by default instead of the English track (2/2). I've seen that before at random times. I'm using OMXPlayer currently.

Here's a log if interested:
http://sprunge.us/aPAO

That's not a debug log, so doesn't have much useful information.
(2015-05-09, 02:05)doveman2 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-05-01, 00:38)DistantSynAck Wrote: [ -> ]Try plugging the RPi into another HDMI port on the TV. CEC might only work on port 1. If you are plugging into an AV receiver then that will go in HDMI 1 on the TV and the RPi should go into HDMI 1 on the AV receiver. I looked up this unit and I didn't see any mention of CEC capability but most manufactures don't mention it anymore or re-brand it. A call to the vendor of the TV might confirm that CEC is available.

I tried both HDMI ports and the menu has a CEC On/Off setting and OE said CEC device detected, so it does have some sort of CEC but it must be some weird version that doesn't work with the Pi. Apparently it's not very standardized, even amongst sets from the same manufacturer.

Try finding the CEC settings on the TV and do a device discovery. On the Pi under System, Settings, Input Devices, Peripherals, CEC Adapter check your settings and make sure it is enabled and Switch source to this device on startup is selected. If that doesn't help change the Physical Address number (overrules HDMI port).

You say this works on your TV, can you swap Pi's and verify this still works. That would rule out a config issue.

I thought CEC didn't work on my TV at first because I was hitting the wrong keys and I had to discover the device. Only buttons that work on my setup are directional pad, OK, Exit, Play, Pause, Stop, FFWD, Rewind.

I was thinking of picking up an USB IR receiver at some point so I can get all the buttons working on my Harmony650. I do have IR modules that I plugged into the GPIO ports at one point but it looks messy and hard to setup, though it was only 2 dollars as RadioShack was closing down.

Good Luck
I don't know if it's any change from before as I can't say I've noticed before (I only investigated today as there was some wobble on the intro music but that seems to be an error in encoding) but with #507, with Kodi set to 720p@60hz and Adjust display refresh rate set to Always and Sync playback to display enabled., playing a 23.76fps mkv, I noticed that the overlay showed S(refresh 59.940) and there was around 25% error at the end of that line, although 0% speed adjustment and 0% skips.I did try setting it to run at 50hz@720p instead of 60hz but it still showed 59.940 when the video was playing. I would have thought it would be a better match to run it at 50hz rather than 60hz but I'm no expert on video standards!

I see from the log that my TV supports 24fps @1080p but not @720p, which is what I normally run at as it's only a 720p panel anyway but I set Kodi to 1080p@60hz and then it does show S(refresh 23.976) with an error around 1-2%, so I'll just leave it on that.

I can't paste the debug log as it's 2.66MB, even though I only played the video in debug mode for a short time, so I've uploaded it here https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1fDI89...sp=sharing
(2015-05-09, 04:18)DistantSynAck Wrote: [ -> ]Try finding the CEC settings on the TV and do a device discovery. On the Pi under System, Settings, Input Devices, Peripherals, CEC Adapter check your settings and make sure it is enabled and Switch source to this device on startup is selected. If that doesn't help change the Physical Address number (overrules HDMI port).

You say this works on your TV, can you swap Pi's and verify this still works. That would rule out a config issue.

I thought CEC didn't work on my TV at first because I was hitting the wrong keys and I had to discover the device. Only buttons that work on my setup are directional pad, OK, Exit, Play, Pause, Stop, FFWD, Rewind.

I was thinking of picking up an USB IR receiver at some point so I can get all the buttons working on my Harmony650. I do have IR modules that I plugged into the GPIO ports at one point but it looks messy and hard to setup, though it was only 2 dollars as RadioShack was closing down.

Good Luck

Thanks. On my sister's TV it only has On/Off for CEC (mine says Viera Link instead of CEC). I couldn't do anything with the RPi at the time as I didn't have my IR remote USB dongle and handset with me, as I'd expected not to need it but I'll take it over next time so I can try going into the CEC settings on the RPi.

It was the same RPi which I was using on my Panasonic Plasma TV with it's handset, which looks identical to the handset for my sister's Panasonic LCD TV. With my TV, I just have the D-Pad, OK, Back, Option (which strangely often brings up a menu on the TV with two options, one of which opens the Context menu and the other opens another of the TV's own menus) and the colour keys. It doesn't have any transport control buttons but it's easy enough to press OK to bring up the overlay and pause it from there, or assign one of the colour buttons to pause in the remote.xml, so that doesn't bother me.

I've got a bunch of old handsets lying around anyway, so if I can't get CEC working on my sister's TV, I'll look at getting a IR receiver I can solder to the GPIO header and use one of those.but it is a lot more convenient to only need one handset and I prefer it to the programmable universal handsets as with those you have to select the device you want to control.
@doveman2 - you'll need to re-test your sisters TV with a current test build as the version of libCEC used has changed a lot in the last week or so, since you tested with #0428.

However testing your sisters TV with official 5.0.8 and seeing if you have the same problem would at least confirm whether the issue has anything to do with these test builds, or is a more general CEC issue which may deserve it's own discussion thread.
(2015-05-09, 03:10)Milhouse Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-05-09, 01:52)afremont Wrote: [ -> ]Upgraded from #0417 to #0507 and now the video add-on for HDHomeRun Live TV only shows a black screen, but audio is coming through fine. This seems to match what the Kodi 15 Isengard builds do on Windows 7. Any ideas on where to turn to next? It was working so good with 0417 too.

And in which build does the problem start? It's going to be somewhere between #0418 to #0507. You might also want to get in touch with the HDHomerun developer if this same problem is multi-platform.

(2015-05-09, 01:52)afremont Wrote: [ -> ]Also getting small audio dropouts about every 4 seconds when watching live TV from a WMC machine. Never saw that problem before. Turning off the sync audio option (was set to adjust PLL) seems to have stopped it from having the audio dropouts. It did play the Spanish track (1/2) by default instead of the English track (2/2). I've seen that before at random times. I'm using OMXPlayer currently.

Here's a log if interested:
http://sprunge.us/aPAO

That's not a debug log, so doesn't have much useful information.

The HDHomeRun Add-on started having issues at #418. No video just audio.
Ruuk in post 12 below has a work around 'Enable enhancements for touch device' in the addons settings."
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1999508

The fix worked for me though it seems to get out of sync. Ruuk asks people to post on the vendor's Kodi Forum for these issues.
(2015-05-09, 04:45)Milhouse Wrote: [ -> ]@doveman2 - you'll need to re-test your sisters TV with a current test build as the version of libCEC used has changed a lot in the last week or so, since you tested with #0428.

However testing your sisters TV with official 5.0.8 and seeing if you have the same problem would at least confirm whether the issue has anything to do with these test builds, or is a more general CEC issue which may deserve it's own discussion thread.

Thanks for the heads-up, I'll make sure it's updated to the latest version before I test again and double-check with official. Although since I got it home I haven't been able to get it to boot past the rainbow screen (just get a cursor top left after that) on my own TV, even after updating the files on the /flash and deleting most of the files from /storage (which I used Paragon ExtFS in Windows for, very handy utility).

I'll try another SD card I've got and hopefully will get it working again.
Is there a chance we can get a test build with libbluray 0.8.0 incorporated? Not for the BD-J support because I know that requires Java, but I read in the change log that it also "improves error resilience" and I'm wondering if that would fix the issues with some BDMV rips I'm having.
I have a problem with the resolution picker.

I have to set a mannuel resolution because my tv doesn't have hdmi-cec and doesn't turn on.
So when the raspberry pi starts, the tv is off, so the tv doesn't give it's resolutions.
So The raspberry pi starts in the lowest resolution 640x480.

So I set a resolution in Video output.

I set resolution to 1920x1080p
but the refresh rate changes to 59.94 hz
And when I change it back to 60 hz The resolution switches itself to "Desktop"
so now it's not a fixed resolution anymore, but it checks with the TV...and when the TV is not on when the raspberry pi is booting,
The raspberry uses the resolution 640x480 again......

Can somebody help me?
Yeah, turn your tv on first. Or set your edid, I think you can do that on rpi via config.txt
(2015-05-09, 10:42)MrMagic Wrote: [ -> ]Is there a chance we can get a test build with libbluray 0.8.0 incorporated? Not for the BD-J support because I know that requires Java, but I read in the change log that it also "improves error resilience" and I'm wondering if that would fix the issues with some BDMV rips I'm having.

OK, I'll include libblurray 0.8.0 in tonight's build.
(2015-05-09, 10:47)OurJermain Wrote: [ -> ]Can somebody help me?

As @nickr said, set your edid.
(2015-05-09, 04:24)doveman2 Wrote: [ -> ]I did try setting it to run at 50hz@720p instead of 60hz but it still showed 59.940 when the video was playing. I would have thought it would be a better match to run it at 50hz rather than 60hz but I'm no expert on video standards!

60Hz is much smoother than 50Hz when playing 24fps content. In general if you can't choose an exact frequency multiple then the higher the refresh rate the better (the average error in displayed frame time is smaller). Additionally 60:24 gives a 5:2 ratio which allows a regular 3:2 pulldown. 50:24 is much more irregular so looks more juddery.