Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Backup restore scenario
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Sorry for a possible dumb question, but I'm just not getting how to backup and restore my kodi stop.

I did a fresh install, added a bunch of addons and did some other customization of those addons.
I have used 3 backup addons:XML Backup, Backup, and Total Installer.

I used all 3 to backup to different locations.

For whatever reason, I lost my kodi setup and had to reinstall.

I ran the restore function of each of these tools, but my kodi set up did not change. Looks like a fresh install.

Is there something I should be doing to get these restores to work? Since I have the same problem with all 3i figure is something I must be doing.

Thanks.
I totally agree so hope somebody responds! Did a restore from version 14.2 to 15. Complete waste of time, restore did nothing.... Backup gave a false sense of security. Does it not work between versions 14 helix & kodi 15 alpha? I got one add-on restored (several not like weather), no thumbs, no scrubber settings for folders, no video or music file locations.
If a third-party addon doesn't do what it says it does, shouldn't you contact the addon author or post in their support thread?
In case another crash / data loss should happen again, I would just backup my .kodi folder with the following command (from your home folder) :

Quote:tar cvzf kodi_backup.tar.gz --exclude=.kodi/temp .kodi

Then in case you need to restore it just "untar" it to .kodi folder (still from in your home folder) :

Quote:tar xzvf kodi_backup.tar.gz

If you are not comfortable with command lines, you can use regular GUI archiving tools, but remember to remove the .kodi/temp folder (it takes about 7G on my system, and the rest of the archive takes "only" 400 MB).
(2015-04-17, 23:05)nesousx Wrote: [ -> ](it takes about 7G on my system, and the rest of the archive takes "only" 400 MB).

You can delete the contents of the .kodi/temp folder, there's nothing in there that needs to be kept. There's no way it should be 7GB unless something has gone nuts and dumped a load of junk in there (core dumps, maybe?).
(2015-04-17, 23:32)Milhouse Wrote: [ -> ]You can delete the contents of the .kodi/temp folder, there's nothing in there that needs to be kept. There's no way it should be 7GB unless something has gone nuts and dumped a load of junk in there (core dumps, maybe?).

Thanks Milhouse, I did delete the temp folder which was really weirdly huge indeed. Will monitor it and see if it grows again.