Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi 14.2 for S802-B TV Box (MBOX)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there,

recently I bougt a S802-B TV Box with Android 4.4 to replace my jailbroken Apple TV2 and I am very happy.

I tried to update the pre installed XBMC 13.4 with a fresh version (14.2) from the Kodi webpage and the install works fine but the shut down commando of Kodi does not work on the new box, meaning the box hangs and only comes back to life after a hard reset.

Seems so the 13.4 version is patched somehow to offer more shut down commandos and I am wondering if there is a new 14.2 version for this box. Also, the box seems to be quite common and I have seen it from many manufacturers under a different name and box shape, just to name one Orbsmart S82.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I am new to Android players but I love the little box and the performance even playing 1080 movies flawless...

Thanks.
i have similar problem , latest version i can use is 14 rc
i have try newer , i have black screen , i have just the sound of input touch
i need to reboot the box too
so i think problem is kodi , not the box
you should try 14.0 rc not newer version , you can find it here
http://mirrors.kodi.tv/releases/android/arm/old/
Thanks for the tip with 14.0 rc - I will give it a try.... But I rather would work with a final version with all the bug fixes... Maybe, with some luck, version 15.x will adress all the issues of the ARM Logic boxes.
The only known AMLogic issues that fit your description appear to be issues with the Android firmware, and not something that Kodi can fix. Yes, I know people have made hacked versions of Kodi to get around such limitations, but such hacks are stopgaps and it's much better to just reflash the box with better firmware. You'll save yourself a lot of headache by doing so.
That stance sounds great Ned, as long as such advanced versions of firmware are available, but any number of devices are available from multiple sources and it is a quagmire at best to search to find correct firmwares for many of them. We're not exactly talking about clear back channels to a manufacturer for a lot of these devices. That said, it does not remove the onus from user's to update their boxes if such firmware can be found.

Assuming(look out, here we go...), I haven't missed it somewhere, it'd be really great if the Development Team would make some announcement to clue people in to these sort of issues and get the ball rolling, maybe a sticky.

Frankly, the only remaining part of the puzzle is what changed between 13 & 14 & 15... Because my CX-S806 came with what I'm guessing was a custom version of 13, wouldn't run any version I could find of 14(BLKSOD BLacKScreensOfDeath), runs Stane's 13.2(which I think was modded and displayed some superuser hokey pokey), and now without any firmware upgrades runs Isengard 4-10 nightly(ran all the other v15 builds I tried too).

So if a change was made re: permissions, and I didn't upgrade firmware, there might be a secondary issue leading/contributing to the BLKSODs. Suddenly, my head hurts... you know, more than usual. ;-)
We do know that there was a change between 14.0 and 14.1 that caused issues with a lot of AMLogic boxes. We couldn't revert that change because the change itself was a bug fix for other issues. Since we had to choose which bugs to have, we chose the ones that were in the firmware and not in Kodi, since the firmwares should (in theory) get their own fixes :)

I find it pretty hard to follow myself, and if I knew more about it then I would be happy to make a better guide or sticky or something to help people. It's quite a mess for some devices.
Ned, the info is appreciated. On a personal basis, I'm lucky that whatever was done worked out and 15.X seems to work fine (after a brief, yet idiotic detour, where I finally twigged to the need for enabling Audio Passthrough & Dolby Digital (AC3) Capable Receiver to get AC3 Dolby to play in the new app!) on my box, but the confusion as to which it does, and doesn't work on, is a real pain for anyone trying to buy a box or try a different one. I'm looking at S812 boxes next since S802 based units seem to be no real bargain now since prices have increased on them since I bought my eval unit and I'm hoping for the best shot at H.265 support... UGH, almost describes how much I'm loving this. ;-)

Maybe you guys can kick it around a bit and try to at least make some announcement regarding what the developers seem to feel their position is regarding the issue. It'd probably save a whole lot of wheel spinning and help people to understand just what they're seeing -at least the ones that can be convinced to read!