Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Media importing and library integration (UPnP, Emby, Plex, ...)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
@Montellese 
Grateful if you could advise if the Emby Media Importer is capable of importing Music libraries as well?
My test TV show and Movies have both been imported without issue on the latest Windows build, but don't seem to be able to import the music library as I'm not even offered the option.
Rather oddly, I am offered the option to import Music Videos, but don't have any Music Vids added to my Emby server currently.
Appreciate any tips/feedback.
Cheers
@Dumyat, Currently Movies, TV shows and Music videos are supported. Music import has not been implemented yet.

As a workaround, i haved used the emby plugin to import my music library. I haven't tried the latest version of that plugin so I am not sure if it will allow you to import music only, as there has been a major rewrite.

Cheers,
LongMan
(2022-06-24, 00:39)LongMan Wrote: [ -> ]@Dumyat, Currently Movies, TV shows and Music videos are supported. Music import has not been implemented yet.
Many thanks @LongMan 
I suspected that might well have been the case, but thanks for the confirmation.
I did try EmbyCon very quickly last night, but don't seem to be able to queue music tracks using that addon (although I didn't spend very much time trying either).
Cheers
@LongMan,
I used Emby for Kodi to import only the music libraries. You can then use kodi to make your pllaylists.
@Montellese

Kodi started crashing again when importing so decided to delete the kodi video database file and start again.

Only added the one plex library that I've had problems with, called TV Shows (510 different shows) noticed kodi library only has 509 🤔.

http://paste.kodi.tv/lufepiliga
@Montellese,
Could please consider and rebase onto Nexus 20 Alpha 2. There have been significant improvements is PVR and LibreELEC among others, which I would love to take advantage of.

Cheers,
LongMan
(2022-06-21, 15:07)kingkearney Wrote: [ -> ]
  • I just wish you imported episode thumbnails into kodi named 'thumbnail'.
I'll look into this. It should be easy to fix. Unfortunately the whole artwork naming in Kodi is not very straight forward and has changed a few times which makes it hard to figure out what the proper art types are. I've never noticed any issues with Estuary but I've never tested any other skin.

• Have you thought about importing plex playlists into kodi?
How would that work? You mean instead of importing whole libraries? Or in addition to the libraries as playlists in Kodi? Kodi doesn't really have a playlist database. I've never used playlists myself (in Kodi or in Plex) so I'm not really familiar with the topic and would need help with something like this.

• When you import rating(s) into kodi is it possible for you to set a default source? I'm guessing that's normally done by a scrapper but since you don't use one it doesn't get set for the movies/shows/episodes. This means that ratings don't display in the skin.
The Plex API wrapper I'm using offers a rating and userRating property for each media item. I can see ratings for all imported movies, tvshows etc. but I've never used user ratings so no idea if they are working properly. I'm not sure what default source you want to choose. This should be handled by Plex's scraper and media import should just import it into Kodi.

• One idea that might take a bit of time to do is finding out how plex handles its theme tunes, and incorporating that into kodi. I know plex has its own online collection of 30 second audio clips (any longer breaches copyright laws) for the theme but it also checks local first and plays them instead.
TV show themes is not an official Kodi feature. AFAIK it is supported by some add-on / skin combination so it's rather difficult to integrate it into the media importer add-on right now because it only really uses official Kodi features.
(2022-06-27, 21:42)kingkearney Wrote: [ -> ]@Montellese

Kodi started crashing again when importing so decided to delete the kodi video database file and start again.

Only added the one plex library that I've had problems with, called TV Shows (510 different shows) noticed kodi library only has 509 🤔.

Thanks for the log. I'll take a look at it ASAP. For next time a debug log would be better :-)
(2022-07-09, 13:40)LongMan Wrote: [ -> ]@Montellese,
Could please consider and rebase onto Nexus 20 Alpha 2. There have been significant improvements is PVR and LibreELEC among others, which I would love to take advantage of.

Cheers,
LongMan
It would be easier for me as well but it would also mean giving up the stable releases since I can't keep both up to date. I'll have to check with the team if there are plans for a 19.6 release or not. If not there's not much left to do for the stable releases anyway.
Cool.
I got the feeling that there may be one more release for 19 but I am not aware of any major bugs there, so the current stable would not be that bad, while the changes/improvements in 20 are significant. The caveat would be that there would need to be a place to keep the last stable since it would expire if kept in the Kodi build system.

Edit: We could get the opinion of the other Media Import users. Are they willing to move on?
(2022-07-11, 17:24)LongMan Wrote: [ -> ]Cool.
I got the feeling that there may be one more release for 19 but I am not aware of any major bugs there, so the current stable would not be that bad, while the changes/improvements in 20 are significant. The caveat would be that there would need to be a place to keep the last stable since it would expire if kept in the Kodi build system.

Edit: We could get the opinion of the other Media Import users. Are they willing to move on?
As long as the official Kodi buildservers still support building Kodi Matrix we can always create new builds based on the current branches. I'm not going to delete those anytime soon so that shouldn't be an issue.
(2022-07-11, 17:24)LongMan Wrote: [ -> ]Edit: We could get the opinion of the other Media Import users. Are they willing to move on?
Probably no surprise here, as I posted about this topic before: More than anything else I'd love to see this PRed into Kodi Master (Nexus, if still feasible, or O**** if that's the next best option).   :-)
If that is not going happen (and I know and accept that there still may be reasons for that), I'd stick with "test builds" based on "most recent stable" as that should give you the broadest testing platform.

Hope this is helpful...
(2022-06-27, 21:42)kingkearney Wrote: [ -> ]@Montellese

Can you somehow specify which exact version of mediaimporter.plex you are using. The logs say mediaimporter.plex v0.0.10 installed but v0.0.10 hasn't been officially released and your log contains a lot of messages which should already be fixed with v0.0.9. On the other hand v0.0.10 contains a lot of fixes and retry logic to improve the stability of the import process which would explain why you didn't see any problems.

Concerning the missing tvshow is it possible that you have an empty tvshow in Plex? Because those are not imported into Kodi.

I just pushed a fix to the master branch of mediaimporter.plex which should fix the default artwork type from TV episodes (and music videos) from poster to thumb. This is also what I already do in mediaimporter.emby.
(2022-07-11, 15:43)Montellese Wrote: [ -> ]
I'll look into this. It should be easy to fix. Unfortunately the whole artwork naming in Kodi is not very straight forward and has changed a few times which makes it hard to figure out what the proper art types are. I've never noticed any issues with Estuary but I've never tested any other skin.
  • Have you thought about importing plex playlists into kodi?
How would that work? You mean instead of importing whole libraries? Or in addition to the libraries as playlists in Kodi? Kodi doesn't really have a playlist database. I've never used playlists myself (in Kodi or in Plex) so I'm not really familiar with the topic and would need help with something like this.serRating[/inline] property for each media item. I can see ratings for all imported movies, tvshows etc. but I've never used user ratings so no idea if they are working properly. I'm not sure what default source you want to choose. This should be handled by Plex's scraper and media import should just import it into Kodi.

I too have looked at the similar uPNP playlist question with Mezzmo and the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  Mezzmo playlists can be called natively with a URL and thus can be set as a Kodi favorite for direct access.  THis is the current solution I recommend.  I suspect the PlexConnect addon may be able to do the same thing if Plex playlists can be called directly by URL.  I have a Plex test setup but have never looked into this capability. 

To your point around not having a playlist database in Kodi, static playlists could potentially be addressed with a similar approach like actors, genre and similar where there would be a playlist table for the playlist name and then a link table to the media in the playlist.  However, you'd still need to be able the query the playlist information out of Plex for this to populate the new Kodi playlist tables.  I don't know if that is supported in Plex.  Mezzmo doesn't have it today.  I've considered adding a context menu item where the user could do a sync playlist to Kodi but again without the underlying Kodi tables, it would become even more of a one off approach.  Even if all of this was working it wouldn't easily address dynamic playlists without some sort of delay in the sync process. 

The Kodi favorites / URL process I use gets around this but it does require something to render the results (which Kodi can do natively) but it also would leverage the native Kodi uPNP support which may or may not provide all of the metadata from the uPNP source.  The Mezzmo addon favorites approach launches the playlist through the addon to ensure full metadata.  But that kind of gets away from the native Kodi integration desire.

So not an easy problem to solve with a native Kodi integration approach. 

My 2 cents.

Jeff