Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Blank display when transitition from mp3 to avi with mixed playlist
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there, long time user, first time poster,

In pre 2.0 versions, I have been using mixed playlists, with both video and audio (xvid music video files and mp3 audio files). Playback transitions between audio visualisation and fullscreen video with no problems.

In 2.0, playback with mixed playlists results in a blank screen when going from audio mp3 to music video xvid, although the audio of the video can be heard, and if the display button is pressed on the remote the video appears.

I have all music and video extensions in both <musicextensions> and <videoextensions> in my AdvancedSettings.xml.

I'm not sure if there is another setting I have missed to order to have both fullscreen video and visualisations display concurrently during a mixed playlist playback?
I forgot to mention this seems to be only when it goes from mp3 audio file to video file. Going from video file to mp3 file results in the visualisation displaying ok.
Sounds like the screensaver is enabled.
jmarshall Wrote:Sounds like the screensaver is enabled.

It occurs whether the screensaver is enabled or not.

When I say the screen is blank, it is actually black but with a slightly less black (80% grey) stripe along the bottom where the normal info bar would be for audio info (album art and artist/track info).

If I press the info button, I get the following info along the top over the black screen:

Audio |
Video |fps:50.00 - Milkdrop

So the OSD controls are still active and displayed. It looks like it is actually thinking the video file is audio, and attempting to play it like an mp3, but instead of showing visualisation or the actual video stream, showing nothing.

I have done some more testing and the behaviour only appears to occur when in "MyVideos", not "MyMusic".

So to summarise:
  • all video and audio media extensions (avi mp3 etc), are loaded under both <musicextensions> and <videoextensions> in my AdvancedSettings.xml
  • 2 identical playlists with a mixture of both music video clips (avi) and audio tracks (mp3) are each saved under /UserData/playlists/music and /UserData/playlist/video respectively

1. when playing the playlist via MyMusic, screen transition from audio file to video file successfully changes from music visualisation to video file display. Screen transition from video file to audio file successfully changes from video file display to music visualisation (although on the very first change from video to audio, the audio file is played but the screen is the filelist view not visualisation, you have to press the display button to start the visualisation - however from then on the visualisation is correctly displayed on each subsequent audio file played after a video file. This is probably normal behaviour and not related to the black screen bug.)

2. when playing the playlist via MyVideos, screen transition from audio file to video file unsuccessfully changes from music visualisation to video file display and results in the error reported above - a blank screen while the audio only is played. The video can be forced up by pressing the display button on the remote. Screen transition from video file to audio file sucessfully changes from the blank video file display to music visualisation.

So, mixed audio and video playlists work fine via MyMusic (both ways, from music->video and video->music), but via MyVideo when going from audio->video results in the video not displaying while the audio from the video file is played.

I'm not sure if this is the expected behaviour, all I'm basically trying to do is eliminate the separate of audio and video and just have "media", since my playlists are half mp3 and half music videos. It looks like at this point I can only achieve this by using playlists via "MyMusic" only.