Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: External Sources
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all, is it possible to set an external source for your media in KODI. I'll explain. Say I'm in a holiday house and want to watch a movies that is stored on my always active NAS drive at my main residence, is there a way of setting this kind of source and if so what is it?

Thanks
James
Plex can do this. You would need something like PlexBMC to watch in Kodi.
I had a look at that and all I can get are dependencies not met and script error.
depends on how your NAS can be accessed over the internet. Kodi allows you to add various kinds of shares, like FTP etc.. Better and more secure than FTP might be a SSL secured VPN tunnel.
I wonder if you have come across any good tut's for this type of thing? When googling, its very confusing as there are so many options. Cheers for the feedback
almost every NAS should have the option to enable an FTP server, so I'd start there. After that you most likely need to do some port-forwarding from your router (if you have one) to your NAS so that the typical FTP-Ports is routed to your NAS. Lastly you need to know your external IP address and if you don't happen to have a static external IP you'd need to use some dynamic DNS server like no-ip.com or any other of these kind (many routers have preconfigured support for these services).
After all of this is sorted out all you need to do is to add a new share in Kodi using your new FTP connection. But remember that you need enough upload bandwidth in order to get a good streaming experience with media from your home.

edit:
alternatively install a Plex or MediaBrowser server which happen to have support for streaming (and transcoding) over the internet. Read their according doku if you want to know more about it (I can't tell, never used them)
A webdav share may also be an option.
If you use FTP or webdav make it read only and have a strong password, for security.
Cheers folks - food for thought