Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: HP Stream Mini Bedroom Kodi HT
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All,

Here's my 1st Kodi home theater setup.

It's a 46" Samsung F6300 driven by a HP Stream Mini 210. Audio is handled by a cheap but functional Onkyo HT-RC430 AVR driving my ancient Pioneer HPM-100's (bought new in the mid 1970's (yes, I'm approaching grampa status...). I took the grills off so you could enjoy the awesomeness of mid-70's speaker styling :-). The Mini gives DTS-HD MA and True HD passthrough and smooth, sharp video.

I've installed 8 G of ram in the Mini, increased HD size to 256 GB, and installed Win 8.1 Pro (so I can connect via remote desktop to fiddle with it). I bought a cheap MCE infra-red remote & a MINIX NEO A2 to manage Kodi with. I use the MCE the most, but the little keyboard on the MINIX has been useful.

Files are served from a Synology DS-212j NAS via powerline ethernet (which, in this case, can sustain 90 Mb/s reliably) so there is no annoying buffering, even with uncompressed blu ray rips. The Kodi installation is pretty vanilla, with the Aeon Nox skin.

I have used Plex Media Server on my desktop with the Plex client app on the TV for a few years, but the flexibility and performance of Kodi and the power savings of the HP Mini seem to be a better solution for me.

Thank you for letting me share this with you Wink

watch gallery
Pioneer put out some great speakers and receivers in the 70's. I think those speakers are badass!
(2015-04-25, 20:24)rick390 Wrote: [ -> ]Pioneer put out some great speakers and receivers in the 70's. I think those speakers are badass!

They have their fans and their critics, but I've always liked them for rock & roll, blues, etc. What amazes me is that after almost 40 years the speaker surrounds and cones haven't degraded and/or rotted away. They weigh about 65 lbs each, so I've always found it amusing they're classified as "bookshelf" speakers. I think I need to rebuild the crossovers and clean or replace the level adjustment potentiometers, but they still pound out the soundtracks!
Yeah the books were bigger in the 70's! Think of all those door to door encyclopaedia salesmen now replaced by wikipedia!
I used to call those speakers Hump 'em 100s. Loved those air motion transformers and tried to figure a way to put them in my Lafayette Criterion 2002+ which I still use today (did have to replace the foam around the cones though).