Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Caching of blurays
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Something that I couldn't find any information on is the following.

Via <buffermode>1</buffermode> and <cachemembuffersize>2147483648</cachemembuffersize> in my advancedsettings.xml I set up 2GB of cache. This works great for normal mkv files, I can follow the NFS traffic with tcpdump filling up the cache.

However, when playing back a blu ray from an NFS mount, the cache is clearly tiny. It caches for a few seconds and stops, ignoring the value I set.

There does not seem any documentaiton on this, and I don't understand why. And unfortunately it makes watching blurays impossible for me.

Does someone have a hint? Thanks!
DVD and bluray images aren't cached, or at least are not affected by the cache settings. They would need to be in an actual file format like MKV to be cached. I'm not sure why this is, but I think it has to do with Kodi treating it the same as if it were coming from a local optical drive.
Thanks Ned! This sucks, but at least I now know why Wink
I wish raw Blu-Ray file structures would be cached also, they are the only media I have trouble with on my Raspberry Pi and the last media I have to go back to my tower computer to play instead of devoting myself to the Pi only.

Sometimes I may use makemkv to convert them temporarily but I prefer to have the original files including extras available.