Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Skin keeps going back to Confluence
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My skin keeps reverting back to confluence!! It really hurts with the WAF, as she is getting confused!! Is there a way to change the skin that Kodi reverts back to when it crashes? I am using Nexus Player and TitanMediaBrowser as my skin.
Kodi doesn't revert skin by itself, even after a crash.
Would your internal flash disk be full?
I have a similar issue. Every few weeks it resets back to confluence and I have to reformat my normal skin back to my preferred settings. If it is the flash disk (currently using a generic android box) is there a way to prevent this from happening?
Does your box have a proper way to shut down/reboot?
i'm having the same problem. I'm using an Android M8 box approx 5gbs available on my flash memory. it takes me about 20 mins to set everything the way i want it and in 2 weeks out of nowhere it resets itself to stock confluence and all my settings are gone. the funny thing is all the apps are still installed just not showing up on the home screen, all the lazy tv settings are all working, next aired episodes is working, and everything I've added to the library is there. it seems like it's an appearance issue. Screen background missing, apps icons under the banner are missing, i renamed all the banner titles those are gone, removed some banner titles those are back, weather reset to nothing. I'm using CCM helix skin, and i shutdown kodi using the power button in the lower left corner. this can't be normal
(2015-04-28, 14:54)albertstroh77 Wrote: [ -> ]Does your box have a proper way to shut down/reboot?
No, on the nexus player there is no way to properly shutdown or reboot. It goes into low power/standyby mode. Is this what's causing it?
(2015-04-28, 07:36)Koying Wrote: [ -> ]Kodi doesn't revert skin by itself, even after a crash.
Would your internal flash disk be full?

Not that I'm aware of. If that is the case, is there a way to prevent it from becoming full? An advancedsettings.xml file that I could use?
Curious if anyone has determined the cause of this issue and how it can be avoided. My skin and some (but not all) settings are reset to defaults (Confluence for the skin) every week or so. This on a Shield TV with very little else installed

It appears that killing power to the box while in the middle of using Kodi may be causing the issue from what I've read. The Shield TV usually never turns off but goes to sleep, and I have it connected to a controlled power strip that cuts power to peripheral devices (like the Shield TV) when my receiver is turned off. This didn't happen with older versions (using latest Jarvis based Kodi build and have also used SPMC) and feel that Kodi should be a bit more robust to not simply lose all settings in the event of power loss

Further reading suggests it's guisettings.xml being corrupted (written to during power loss) that could be the culprit. Which begs the question, why isn't Kodi doing "double buffering" of system files during writes? There's no reason this should ever occur. All updates are first written to a second file and an atomic write of a single pointer to the correct file is updated to commit the change. That's just one possible solution.
(2016-04-25, 14:27)onlinespending Wrote: [ -> ]Further reading suggests it's guisettings.xml being corrupted (written to during power loss) that could be the culprit. Which begs the question, why isn't Kodi doing "double buffering" of system files during writes?
because nobody implemented it yet. If somebody is creating a pull request for this, I'm sure it'll be merged right away (given it meets all requirements).
MrMC does this already, You just need to save the settings (and skin settings) when they are changed and not rely on exiting the app to do that for you.

We added this because real iOS/tvOS apps should never exit via the user interface (automatic review rejection), the os will deal with it and issue a terminate callback before it kills you Smile
(2016-04-25, 14:27)onlinespending Wrote: [ -> ]Curious if anyone has determined the cause of this issue and how it can be avoided. My skin and some (but not all) settings are reset to defaults (Confluence for the skin) every week or so. This on a Shield TV with very little else installed

It appears that killing power to the box while in the middle of using Kodi may be causing the issue from what I've read. The Shield TV usually never turns off but goes to sleep, and I have it connected to a controlled power strip that cuts power to peripheral devices (like the Shield TV) when my receiver is turned off. This didn't happen with older versions (using latest Jarvis based Kodi build and have also used SPMC) and feel that Kodi should be a bit more robust to not simply lose all settings in the event of power loss

Further reading suggests it's guisettings.xml being corrupted (written to during power loss) that could be the culprit. Which begs the question, why isn't Kodi doing "double buffering" of system files during writes? There's no reason this should ever occur. All updates are first written to a second file and an atomic write of a single pointer to the correct file is updated to commit the change. That's just one possible solution.

I can confirm this is a MAJOR problem with Kodi 16 & SPMC 16 ... I have both AFTV1 & 2 (separate rooms) and have run both SPMC & KODI on them both.

I don't pull the power on the units almost ever. But if I pull the power or kill hte KODI/SPMC process it won't revert - thus I cant force/repro the problem manually... it just reverts when I don't expect it.

This bug is a real PITA.