Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi v15 (Isengard) upgrade FAQ
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
See:

Kodi v15 (Isengard) FAQ (wiki)
- Frequently Asked Questions for upgrading to Kodi v15 (Isengard), including how to enable some of the new features, where some controls got moved to, etc.

and

New features (wiki) - Various interesting new features as they roll out.

NOTE: This thread is about improving the Isengard FAQ. It is not for troubleshooting. Unless it's directly related to the FAQ (such as clarifying instructions on the FAQ, an issue you think should be included, etc) don't post it in this thread and start a new thread instead.

It's that time again. The aim here is to make the upgrade FAQ the first line of defense for all the common upgrade questions, and this time around we'll probably have a lot more that deal with what is needed for the name change. It's pretty bare at the moment and hopefully I'll have the more obvious issues added in a few hours.

What's missing? What should be added/removed/changed/made clearer? Etc. Feel free to edit the page directly or mention what you think should be changed in this thread.
The subject of how to revert the Skip Steps feature needs to be mentioned. The defaults can now be customized using the Keyboad.XML file in the user settings folder. Any previous skip settings used in Advancedsettings.XML in Helix and earlier will be ignored.

First, go into Settings, and disable all skip steps other than -10, 10. Check that only those two are highlighted. Set Skip Delay to None.

Add this code your Keyboard.XML to override the new adaptive settings, in full screen video only, to skip forward 21 seconds and back 7 seconds using the right/left keys.

Code:
<FullscreenVideo>
    <keyboard>
      <right>seek(21)</right>
       <left>seek(-7)</left>
    </keyboard>
</FullscreenVideo>

The new behaviour also affects Music seeking, and can be likewise tweaked.

Edit: Getting a bit technical now, but the time specified might not result in an exact skip:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1996644
I think there needs to be some discussion about how language and navigation sounds have been "addon-ized" as resource type and implications for users.

scott s.
Indeed on both. jjd-uk has put together an excellent page on skip steps (wiki) that the FAQ should lead into. We can also come up with some notes about what people would need to do for an off-line installation. Or at least warning them to have an internet connection for switching languages and such.
Alright, I finally added all of that to the FAQ and made a page about offline language installing. I still need to add some notes about the add-on manager (wiki) changes and update those pages. Other than that, anything obvious missing? I'm drawing a blank on if there are any v15-specific issues for the troubleshooting section.
Where is the beta/RC release thread?? In the old days we could follow things in those threads but now it doesn't seem like there just isn't one.

Looking at git it seems B2 is skipped (or maybe just about to drop?) - and RC1 is already tagged but there are lots of open bugs with Isengard and I have to a certain extent held off reporting/discussing since there was no release thread - is there one coming??

There are plenty of open issues with B1....
Some people made them in the past, but a single omni thread is hard to follow when specific issues are being reported, IMO. It's best to post a new thread about an issue, and/or make a Trac ticket for it as well.

B2 is going to be announced soon. We're doing things a little backwards from last year, which itself was backwards to how we should have been tagging. That is, the tag goes in but is not final until another tag is ready, just like with alpha builds. This year we've finally released betas the same way we released alphas.

RC1 is now the current build we are heading towards, but RC1 won't be released until it actually seems like a release candidate. At least, that is the plan as I understood it.
Yep I've done that (threads and trac tickets).

One issue - mySQL DB upgrades - is sort of in limbo - http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=225859

The other - sort by episodes being broken - is going nowhere fast it seems: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=226157

I miss the thread, although it was a bit shambolic.

A place where 'blocking' level bugs were recorded discussed would be handy. I know issues on github is a no no - but trac is a bit crappy let's face it. And this forum is a bit too massive sometimes!!
I know a bunch of people are aware of the MySQL issue, but I gave an extra poke to the team about the sorting issue.
That's good of you, thanks. Don't mean to pester them, though!
With respect to resource addons (skin navigation addon and language addons).

You will need to delete manually both the old language directory in system and the sounds directory also, afaik there is zero automatic handling of removing those directories which will contain still files which are now outdated language wise. Skin navigation sound wise it will cause some oddities as well https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/7096#i...-101339444

Or until some adds some handling to source so that these directories are deleted when upgrading.
That's not something the user should ever have to do. It's also not something I've ever seen on OS X, iOS, or Android. If there is an issue with old sound and language files from older Kodi installations then that is a bug that should be fixed before release.
On a very specific note, for those managing Kodi installations on Amazon Fire TVs with ADBfire:

Q. Should I manually uninstall before upgrading/reverting Kodi?

A. Short answer: probably not, but if you do, beware, you will lose your Kodi icon, and possibly data. Upgrading without uninstalling might also remove the icon.

If uninstalling, be sure to check the box (-k keep app data), otherwise you will lose your custom settings and data including sources, keyboard (remote), and advancedsettings. Uninstalling, even with the -k option, will remove your Kodi icon from the Home screen.

To reinstall the Kodi icon, log out of your Amazon account (deregister), and then log back in again. That's presuming you've "bought" Kodi from the Amazon store. If not, buy it first before logging back in. If the icon does not reappear in your Recents after the apps have repopulated, open Kodi from within Manage Applications in Settings.
I'm not sure about that. The advice for the last two FAQs have been to never uninstall an older version if using Android. There's no reason for them to uninstall Kodi if they are just trying to update, so it's a lot easier to just tell all Android users to specifically not uninstall.
I'm not sure about this either, but if you're reverting - say from a nightly to an earlier stable - would the install clean up correctly?

I think it's worth mentioning that in the FAQ for the AFTV only, regardless of whether you uninstall, the installation process will remove your Kodi icon, requiring you log in and out of your Amazon account to repopulate the apps.

And while we're on the subject of the AFTV, it might be helpful to have some kind of directive answer on this:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=226625

There are umpteen threads on it, but so far, I haven't seen an answer as to:

1. Under what combination of source and hardware (including TV and HT Receiver) it's likely to be an issue. It gets too technical, too quickly. That's why it's being asked day in day out.

2. How to know if it's affecting you.

3. What Kodi/hardware settings can help.

4. When to give up and run Kodi on something else, with a specific suggestion.
Pages: 1 2