Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Isengard 15 beta won't play AIFF
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have tested both the Alpha and Beta versions of Isengard and can confirm that they will not play AIFF files that I have hosted on a Plex server. I am using the PleXBMC addon to connect to the server and all of the video files are playing fine. I know that this is an issue with the Isengard build because the AIFF files play flawlessly in the Helix build. Is there an additional encoder addon that I need to download to make them work? I know that there is an effort to remove old code and make Isengard leaner. Can anyone else confirm this issue? Do I need to report this in the bug tracker?
As far as I'm aware behaviour shouldn't have changed.

What extension do these files have? from a quick test using some samples I found .aif indeed doesn't work however .aiff does, renaming the not working .aif files to .aiff then allowed me to play them.
Ok so there has been a change, Helix 14.2 plays both .aif and .aiff, samples I used are from http://streams.videolan.org/samples/AIFF/

For example "luckynight.aif" plays in Helix but doesn't in Isengard Beta 1, renaming to "luckynight.aiff" allows playback.

@FernetMenta any ideas why there is a change? can do debug logs if required.
Debug log http://xbmclogs.com/pv4krwsk4

Looks like the not working .aif is being forwarded to the vgmstream audio decoder while the working .aiff is being forwarded to ffmpeg so it seems this is a side effect of some stuff being moved to audio decoder addons.

crogers1975 can you confirm whether this is the same as you are seeing? where .aif doesn't work but .aiff does, and what OS are you using?
.aif works for me but I don't have installed those crappy old audiodecoders. Are they enabled by default?
On Windows they are as they are packaged in the installer, and as such it's not possible to disabled them.
(2015-05-04, 18:16)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]On Windows they are as they are packaged in the installer, and as such it's not possible to disabled them.

This is not ideal and should be changed. The audiodecoder addons are supposed to be optional for users dreaming of the old Atari days. They register extensions which take precedence over ffmpeg decoder.
So I take from that vgmstream registers aif as a supported extension, in which case why doesn't it work? is it restricted support of only certain types of aif from old games? if so can vgmstream be prevented from registering aif as a supported extension?
(2015-05-04, 18:21)FernetMenta Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-05-04, 18:16)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]On Windows they are as they are packaged in the installer, and as such it's not possible to disabled them.

This is not ideal and should be changed.

This problem with this is we've moved to binary addons but no one has sorted getting them moved into the add-on repo so the add-on manager can be use to install them if required.

I just remembered that while they are enabled by default for installation you can deselect the option

I can confirm on a new installation without audio decoders installed both aif and aiff work.
I will attempt to re-install Isengard beta without the audio encoders selected and report back. Glad other were able to duplicate the issue.
I will look into it and allow that decoders can be disabled and are disabled by default.
Should be same case as pvr addon I guess
(2015-05-04, 19:28)crogers1975 Wrote: [ -> ]I will attempt to re-install Isengard beta without the audio encoders selected and report back. Glad other were able to duplicate the issue.

It's the Audio Decoder Add-ons causing the issue, keeping the Audio Encoders Add-ons should be fine.
(2015-05-04, 20:01)Martijn Wrote: [ -> ]Should be same case as pvr addon I guess

yes, having them all enabled by default is annoying too
Even if it wouldn't be practical in the long run, can't we, just for now, throw these guys up in zip form on the mirrors along side all of the other add-ons?
Pages: 1 2