Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Multi-disc movies and multi-movie discs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I am in the process of building my KODI library, by importing files for around 3 000 ripped discs (90 % DVD, 10 % BluRay), ripped in original file format using AnyDVD HD, all stored on NASes.

Mostly this is working well, but I have run into two issues:

1. Some of my older movies, or music DVDs, contain one single "title" on more than one DVD, e.g. Dances with Wolves is a single movie, but on two DVDs, and therefore two separate file sub-folders on my NAS. How do you guys handle this? As simple as manually naming one of the Disc 1 and the other Disc 2, or is there some more elegant method?

2. Some discs contain more than one movie, i.e. in a single sub-folder, e.g. Leprechaun, I have two titles, Leprechaun 1 and Leprechaun 2. I would like them to show up separately, not as a single "joint" title. This is especially the case when the two titles aren't related (i.e. not a "natural" movie set with sequels or similar). Is there some way I can do this other than by copying the entire sub-folder and giving the original and the copy different names? I guess this solution is easy, but it would tak up unneccessary storage space, and I am running out. So ideally I woule like to "link" to title entries to a single sub-folder-

Thanks for all your help
Chris
Within Kodi, solving multiple movies per disc may be possibly via custom nfo (wiki) files containing epbookmark tags but i've not tried it.
Also, split movies can be solved via File_stacking (wiki) and/or specific naming conventions for the split movies but i've also not tried this.
If you need custom .nfo's and renaming diretories/files which would all need testing to ensure it's robust for your use case, it's a lot of work.

As i'm over over DVD/BD menus and the extras i never watch, storing iso's or DVD Video_TS folders with menues and/or extras holds no benefit for me.
As such, i find it much simpler to just use makemkv to rip the desired main movie or episode from my DVD/BD collection and save the resulting .mkv container file to a BD or DVD directory (to reflect the source).
The mkv creation process does not re-encode the video, it just places the original stream contents into the .mkv container so it's the same quality and size as the original Nod

The result is that movie naming and kodi "source" structure becomes simpler for me to manage.
If only i could create a custom movie .nfo file and add it to the .mkv container along with the various desired movie artworks, i'd have one file per movie.
AND if i could have Kodi pull the meta data info from the .nfo and .jpg files within the mkv container itself when i scan my library, i'd be as happy as a pig in mud Tongue.
Sadly i don't think this works yetSad

So storing the main movie from your DVD backups into a .mkv container would solve all but the split movie issue which can be handled by merging the discs using a multitude of tools.
Still, doing 3000 movies via makemkv would be very time consuming but possibly "multimakemkv" or "makemkv batch converter" may help for the bulk of one movie per ISO/Video_TS folder.
The remaining ISO/Video_TS folders that contain multiple movies per disc could be done manually using makemkv.
That only leaves the split movies or flipper discs to deal with.

As i had only a couple of split movies, actually the movie was on one disk but split over two sides and known as flipped discs, i ripped the two sides the day i bought them.
Obviously i ended up with two distinct Video_TS folders which i combined into a single Video_TS folder using, IIRC, vobedit and ifoedit and some other small tools to clean up some small chapter and subs issues.
The process which i documented somehwere within my backups wasn't complicated... I'll post it if i find it but google may be quicker...
I kept the full size ISO and later i used makemkv to pull only the main movie from this merged disc.

The resulting file and directory structure would be a cleaner going forward.
And it would allow simpler use of handbrake and it's batch processing capabilities to use more squishy newer compression methods to save more space on your nas should you desire.
(heck you may be able to skip the makemkv step by using handbrake on the ISO's or Video_TS folders directly, but not sure as i haven't tried it).

I'd bite the bullet and go the cleanup route by migrating your ISO's/Video_TS directories and the associated complex directory naming structures to a simpler directory structure containing .mkv files and assocuiated .nfo and .jpg files for each indivdual movie title. Dito for episodes.
Thanks for a very clarifying and comprehensive reply. I am afraid that for me using a different file structure is not an option, as the KODI system is something I only use for my secondary HTPCs systems (my wife's living room and the kids' bedrooms). My main home theatre room uses a different system with a lot of more advanced automation, and that system relies on the original files in their original file structure, so if I were to convert I would to make a copy of all my files which would need an additional 40 TB of storage space, that in addition to the cost would take a lot of time and effort to get up and running.

Since I probably only have around 10 multi-disc movies and maybe 20 multi-movie discs it makes more sense to manually enter disc 1, disc 2 etc for the former, and to make separate copies for the latter. I just need to learn how to manually add movie overviews etc.....

Since I really like having BR menus and easy access to subtitles etc, which external BR player do you guys recommend, and is it easy to implement?
I rip the main movie from my DVD/BD to a .mkv container and using the default Kodi player can easily select the desired subtitle and language without issue.
So i don't see a need for DVD/BD menu simpley for making subtitle or language selection as Kodi along with my remote handles it nicely as is.

About the only thing that .mkv containers seem not to handle elegantly is seamless branching where there are two versions of a movie on one disk (theatrical and extended for example).
This may be an issue with the ripper itself or the Kodi player, or both, i don't know and don't really care.
Really, i don't know why one would want both versions but if they do, they could simply rip both versions even though it takes up more disk space.

As is, kodi can do all manner of wonderful things including home automation and security (from what i have read).
It's possible that kodi could even replace your current system should you desire but since you've likely invested lots of $$ into it, i would expect you'd prefer to simply enjoy it Nod

As for BD players, I hardly watch a DVD or BR disk any more, i buy the disk and then rip it to HDD and use Kodi to watch the rip.
Some use external players launched from within kodi but i can't see the benefit if i still have to get up to insert a disk.
On the occassion, when i do watch a DVD/BD disk before ripping, i simply use the PS3 under my TV.

Unfortunately the problem with PC based BD players is they frequently need updated decryption keys and/or BDjava engine.
And i've had no end of bother trying to get Cyberlink Power DVD, a PC based BD players, updated and working everytime their are keys/BDjave code updates forced on us by the movie cartels.
Using PowerDVD from within Kodi would then be a big PITA as player updates would still be a big PITA.

Oddly, all BD rippers seem to not have such problems and have always been able to handle my disks.
And like most software, BD ripper updates have been idiot simple.
So why bother with a flawed playback methodology requiring PC based BD players?

Pity the media cartels simply treat customers like myselft, that buy BD disks and buy PC based BD players legally, as if we are thieves requiring jail time.
They make us, the ones providing them an income, jump through hoops to watch the stuff we buy while the less legal options treat their customers with gratitude.
I've no sympathy for the movie cartel and the quicker their business model is bankrupt, and the execs are in the streets beging for food, the better.

I simply want to buy and own my own disks, not license a download and be dependant on some DRM server which could shut shop at any time.
I've spend big $ while amassing my physical movie collection and would prefer to continue doing that.
And i wont jump onto the UHD bandwagon with what looks like even more restrictive DRM as compared to BD (which is bad enough).
Pity the movie cartels don't recognise they are the ones slowly killing their business as they are the ones alienating me, not the 'pitates'.

It will get to the point i have no interest in buying or watching any new releases.
As my memory fades, i can contine to watch and rewatch my collection with renewed interest Sleepy

Well enough of that rant Confused

So what type of system does you main home theater room use and why is it 'stuck' with the current file and structure?
Skylarking,

I certainly agree with all your ranting, but I had understood/hoped that using Power DVD would solve all my BR issues. You are strongly indicating that is not the case Sad

I am using a Cinemar system, which controls my DVD and BR changers (6 in all, including a changer with disc flipping functionality) via IR, serial and LAN, as well as a PS3 via Bluetooth. In addition my amp, plasma screen, cable-box, TV lift etc are all handled via a preprogrammed interface that I have probably paid USD 5,000 over the years, and it is custom made for my Scandinavian products and services (I am based in Norway). I simply don't have the time or stamina to try to build a KODI based system myself, especially as I seem to get 90 % functionality in the other rooms without any effort from the straight out of the box KODI solution. So I am only trying to tweak the last 10 % out of KODI with the smallest possible investment of my own time. So far KODI is very impressive!
In my experiance PowerDVD is ok until you need to update as i mentioned but i've got the bundled version which may be clunkier to update as compared to the full version. The bundled version also tries to always upsell me to the latest fully paid version which i hate.

As is, by using playercorefactory, as i think it's called, to have kodi use powerdvd for your BD stubs should work ok, ignoring the above powerdvd issues/annoyances. Playercore factory is a configuration file within kodi that calls an external player and it's documented in the wiki.

You can always try playercorefactory with vlc on dvd stubs as a test case. It will cost nothing but time and if you like the way it works, you can try with some BD player like powerdvd on BD stubs.

In case your not aware, stubs are like media files but result in a popup asking you to insert a disc. Just like media files, you can have .nfo and .jpg files to define the associated meta data or pull it from the www when scraping.

As for your theater system it sounds rather nice indeed. I'm sure that kodi could do much the same in terms of integration but it would be a big effort. f it aint broken, don't fix it seems aproproate in this instance.

I'd like a projector lift with lens system myself but can't justify the cost. Guess that's easier to justify during the cold winter nights in Norway Smile

I spent a year in Oslo and know the cold and darkness well. I loved my time there. Lived next to Frogner park just an enjoyable walk to the town center and near the yrain line to Holmencolen (sp?). Ah, the memories Smile
If you haven't figured out a process to solve your second question (multi movie discs) you can do this with custom NFO files as a tv show.
It's not quite ideal since it shows up under tv shows instead of movies, but it does provide the same functionality. I posted about it the other day, and I updated the thread on how I did it.

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=249303