Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Brand new - advice re NUC installation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I'm about to take delivery of an Intel DN2820FYKH Celeron NUC with the aim to use as an HTPC box and also a MAME emulator to run some old school arcade games. The NUC will have 4GB RAM and a SSD.

I'm considering either openelec, kodibuntu or Ubuntu.

I'd like to:
- stream live TV from the internet over wifi (and if possible record to usb hard drive like a PVR)
- stream media via wifi from a HP N54L
- play media from USB hard drive
- play some old school arcade games

I'd appreciate any advice on whether to go openelec, kodibuntu or Ubuntu and steps needed to do this. I'm tech savvy but have no experience with Linux or kodi.

Also is it possible to use a Harmony remote control, Microsoft wedge Bluetooth keyboard and PS4 dual shock 4 controller with the hardware and openelec?

Thanks in advance.
Avoid WiFi if you can.
Depends on your comfort level. I have the exact same setup. OpenELEC goes on super easy, but you'll be more limited on what you can do. I had retroarch working on Gotham, but it broke at some point for an unknown reason.

I recently did a new install on a SSD with KodiBuntu which I'm more happy with, but you'll have to manually set up stuff like Samba sharing and setting up emulation is a bear (but easier than OpenELEC.) You'll have to set up remotes and such manually. Lots of scripts and backend stuff to do to really tweak it. It is Ubuntu, but a bit stripped down.

Ubuntu might be a very good solution, but you'll still have to set up Kodi to autolaunch. I would probably do it on a SSD with the N2820. It would probably be a bit pokey otherwise. Mint is more Windows like and is built on Ubuntu. You may like it more. I do.

You may want to look into EmulationStation. Right now I'm looking at setting up Kodi and EmulationStation as separate sessions. They don't play well together and I haven't had much luck with Rom Collection Launcher playing nice with my skin of choice.

Depending on what you want, you may want to look at Retrorig flavors too. https://github.com/ProfessorKaos64