Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: OS Comparison
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Does anyone have first hand experience of using Kodi on both 5.x Lollipop and 4.2 Jelly Bean or 4.4 KitKat Android operating systems?
In theory, using v5 should be the best, but sometimes there are bugs on the firmware level for specific hardware. v4.4 has been out longer, so sometimes people see less bugs, but it is not really specific to Android itself. You want to use v4.4 as a minimal, since Kodi requires Android v4.4 starting in Kodi v15.
As ever, many thanks for your reply.

Having considered it I am going to wait for the final release of Isengard v15 and then wait for the particular box I have my eye on to come with Android v5 by which time I would hope any initial bugs have been ironed out.

Just as a by the way, I have had to abandon the current nightly Isengard builds and have gone back to Helix v14.2, which is brilliant for my purposes. I am able to watch 1080 movies perfectly well with a RK 3188 chipset, now considered old hat. I remain one very satisfied user of Kodi.
(2015-05-10, 03:27)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]In theory, using v5 should be the best, but sometimes there are bugs on the firmware level for specific hardware. v4.4 has been out longer, so sometimes people see less bugs, but it is not really specific to Android itself. You want to use v4.4 as a minimal, since Kodi requires Android v4.4 starting in Kodi v15.

Ned, I have just re-read your reply and are you really saying that v15 should not be considered for Android 4.2?
Sorry, I was mistaken. v15 will work with v4.2.
(2015-05-11, 03:05)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry, I was mistaken. v15 will work with v4.2.

That's great. Just confirming the info in Wiki was correct.