Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Library Scan of Movie/Show Runtime Duration
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
If I recall correctly, older versions of XBMC/Kodi (v13 and earlier) would automatically calculate the runtime duration of all movies/TV shows as part of the library scrape/sync process. Now, even if a movie/show is scraped correctly, I cannot view its runtime length until I actually start playback. Afterwards, I can view the runtime of that particular movie/show with no problems, but it is annoying that I have to first initiate playback for it to be calculated/stored. I'm unsure if this change in behavior is a bug or a feature.

Thus, my question is: is there a way to automatically calculate the individual runtime durations for everything in my video library?
Check settings "retrieve metadata"
Thank you for the quick response, Martijn!

My apologies, but let me further clarify:

It seems there are two runtime values, one of which is scraped during the initial scan (the one you are referring to) and another which is calculated when the file is actually played. The second runtime value is what is visible from remote applications such as Yatse. It was a nice feature being able to see all of my movies and their corresponding runtimes from the Yatse app. Using the latest stable Kodi release, Yatse only shows the runtime next to movies I've played before.
There's no duration extraction for VIDEO_TS and BDMV items without starting playback on them. I guess that's what happening here?
(2015-05-14, 09:34)mkortstiege Wrote: [ -> ]There's no duration extraction for VIDEO_TS and BDMV items without starting playback on them. I guess that's what happening here?

I don't believe that is the root of the problem, as all of the movies/shows in question are individual .mkv files.

Like I said before, I believe in older versions of XBMC every individual show/movie file would get "touched" and have its respective runtime calculated during the scraping process. As a result, ALL of my movies/shows would have their runtimes listed in external applications such as Yatse.

It seems the "new" scraping algorithm (I assume for performance reasons) simply stores a runtime scraped from the web in another field/location and that is it. While I can click "info" on an individual movie/show and view the "scraped runtime", it is evidently stored in a different location than the "calculated runtime". The "calculated runtime" is the actual length of the physical file and is what remote applications such as Yatse use.
Runtime is extracted after scan. The duration value from streamdetails will replace the previously scraped one. Please double check that the option "Extract thumbnail and video information" is enabled in video settings. See http://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/Videos#File_lists
(2015-05-18, 08:30)mkortstiege Wrote: [ -> ]Runtime is extracted after scan. The duration value from streamdetails will replace the previously scraped one. Please double check that the option "Extract thumbnail and video information" is enabled in video settings. See http://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/Videos#File_lists

This did the trick! It turns out I had the settings mode only set to "advanced" and was unaware that "expert" existed. As soon as I toggled the settings to "expert" and checked the "extract video information", everything works as desired.

Thanks a million, guys!
so how do we do this now? options seem to be removed 

I used to use this function to make sure I had time to finish a complete season before bedtime when picking what to watch 

https://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:Show_Runtime 

also seems to be removed now
(2022-11-12, 01:57)MasterCATZ Wrote: [ -> ]https://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:Show_Runtime 

@MasterCATZ looks like that particular add-on has not been updated for use in v19 but it still available in the v18 repo - this is probably due to the switch from Python2 to Python3.

It would take a developer with the time and inclination to update this and submit it.
(2022-11-12, 01:57)MasterCATZ Wrote: [ -> ]so how do we do this now? options seem to be removed 

I used to use this function to make sure I had time to finish a complete season before bedtime when picking what to watch 

Add-on:Show_Runtime (wiki) 

@MasterCATZ   I took a look at this addon and it is pretty simple.  I'll do a quick port to Kodi 19 over the next couple of days and post a test build for you to try.  If it works ok I'll post it to the official Kodi repo.

@Dangelus I couldn't find the source code on the Kodi GitHub repo but was able to download it via a Kodi Leia instance.  Do you know where the GitHub source is ?  If not, I can use the downloaded version.

Jeff
(2022-11-12, 12:23)jbinkley60 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2022-11-12, 01:57)MasterCATZ Wrote: [ -> ]so how do we do this now? options seem to be removed 

Add-on:Show_Runtime (wiki) 

@MasterCATZ   I took a look at this addon and it is pretty simple.  I'll do a quick port to Kodi 19 over the next couple of days and post a test build for you to try.  If it works ok I'll post it to the official Kodi repo.

@Dangelus I couldn't find the source code on the Kodi GitHub repo but was able to download it via a Kodi Leia instance.  Do you know where the GitHub source is ?  If not, I can use the downloaded version.

Jeff
Now this is community at work! Smile Thanks Jeff.

Looks like the author "Curti" has not been active here for over 5 years, they may have lost interested and deleted their GitHub, I can't find it.
(2022-11-12, 12:23)jbinkley60 Wrote: [ -> ]@MasterCATZ   I took a look at this addon and it is pretty simple.  I'll do a quick port to Kodi 19 over the next couple of days and post a test build for you to try.  If it works ok I'll post it to the official Kodi repo.

@MasterCATZ  @Dangelus 

I've completed an initial port and it loads under Kodi 19.  You can download it here and try it out.   I don't have a good test environment right now for it but it loads without any errors.  I'll need a few more minor tweaks to support Kodi 20 and have it ready for Kodi repo submission. 

Please let me know how it works.

Thanks,

Jeff
(2022-11-14, 12:25)jbinkley60 Wrote: [ -> ]I've completed an initial port and it loads under Kodi 19.  You can download it here and try it out.   I don't have a good test environment right now for it but it loads without any errors.  I'll need a few more minor tweaks to support Kodi 20 and have it ready for Kodi repo submission. 

Please let me know how it works.

@MasterCATZ @Dangelus 

I've uploaded a newer version of the addon, which now works with Kodi 19 and 20.  Looking through the code I found that the context menu item call the addon was using is no longer supported in Kodi 19 and higher so I updated it to a supported call.  The formatting is not good right now due to changes in how Kodi handles OK Dialog boxes.  I'll likely switch this over to a text viewer or try to fix the formatting in an Ok Dialog box.  For now if you can confirm that it is working.  I am getting ready to travel so I might not be able to fix the formatting till next week, when I get back.

Thanks,

Jeff
@MasterCATZ @Dangelus 

I've posted a new version 1.0.99c which fixes the formatting and migrates the addon settings to the new Kodi format.  I've tested it with Kodi 19 and 20.

Thanks,

Jeff
@jbinkley60 Looks like the user hasn't resisted the forum since they made their enquiry. I'm sure they will be very please upon their return.
Pages: 1 2