Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: HDMI-CEC questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I know there's already a lot of threads on this subject - I spent hours reading them all! I can't get all of the buttons to work on my Panasonic remote with the Pulse Eight USB-CEC adapter. The Navigation, OK, Return, Exit and colour buttons are working but nothing else. I was hoping someone who understands HDMI-CEC better than me might have some definitive answers before I waste any more time trying to get the other buttons to work.

When I press a button on the remote, the power LED on the TV flashes briefly, so I can see the TV got the button press. Out of the buttons that don't work, some of them cause the LED to flash and others don't (which implies the remote isn't doing anything for those). So I think there's two separate problems:

Play, Pause, Stop, FF, Rewind buttons
These don't make the LED flash, so I don't think the TV is getting them. I've followed the instructions in the manual to reprogram the remote (and similar variations posted on here), but it doesn't work (i.e. holding the power button while pressing two numbers then stop - I've tried all the combinations). I've given up on these buttons, I don't think there is anything I can do in Kodi to get them working without the remote working properly.

Channel numbers, Channel Up, Channel Down, Info, Guide
These buttons do cause the LED to flash, so they are getting sent to the TV. When I run cec-client, nothing is output when I press these buttons (it does output the button press for the buttons that work in Kodi). So I want to know if making changes to remote.xml or keyboard.xml is going to have any affect if the button presses are not showing here? I've tried various versions I've found in similar threads, but they don't do anything - I could spend more time playing around with these but am I wasting my time? Similarly I've seen people mention using a edid.dat file - but I'm not using a Raspberry Pi so I can't try this (or at least I don't know how to). For these buttons, should I just conclude the TV doesn't forward them, and there is nothing I can do?

I'd really like to get a few more buttons working if possible!

Thanks,
Michael
unfortunately it's up to the TV vendors which buttons they forward via CEC and which not. My LG doesn't forward channel up/down or alike. And my Sony does neither. FF/RW on my Sony are only available if I put the remote into DVD-player mode, so also not forwarded via CEC. I know that some TVs have an option to enabled some extended CEC support that forwards additional buttons (IIRC that was the case for a Samsung TV I demoed the PI and CEC on at an exhibition), maybe your model has a similar feature somewhere hidden in the menus.

If you press a button on your TV remote and there is nothing in the log, then adjusting the keymaps unfortunately won't help.
I also have a Panasonic TV with the pulse Eight CEC USB Adapter. What I've noticed is, that the "Option" button also works. It can be used as either home or context-menu button, there's a little pop-up coming up.

As far as I understand, the firmware of the Panasonic TV is updateable. So maybe you could just contact Panasonic and ask them about it? Maybe, if we are really lucky, we could get an updated firmware for the TV, if the other buttons are not forwarded?

For me, the CEC adapter is very cool the way it is but of course I wouldn't mind it being improved :-)
da-anda - Thanks for the reply. It's good to get that clarified.

annomatic - My TV is really old, so probably a different model to yours - the option button works on mine too though.

I think the TV will forward buttons differently depending on what device it thinks is plugged into HDMI cable. When I plug it into my DVD player, it's identified as Home Theatre and I can control the volume of the DVD player, when I plug it into my Kodi PC it's identified as Other.
I really like CEC as well but as others say your mileage will very.

I recently discovered that when I'm watching Live TV that I can punch in channel names and go to the channel. I can also go back to the last channel by hitting 0 (zero key). I need to be in the Group: All channels as I can't pick a movie channel if I'm using a sports group.

I'm using the latest Rpi2 Milhouse test build #521.