Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Freeze when switching Internet radio stations
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I installed Kodi for a friend of mine on an Intel NUC running OpenELEC. Everything was working fine until I left (of course). He was attempting to change Internet Radio Stations using the Official Kodi iOS remote when things froze. He said it was playing, he found the station he wanted and as soon as he hit the new station, the music stopped. I told him it was probably a dead station and to try another. At that point, nothing happened when you chose another station.

The iOS Remote showed a green connection to the box, but nothing would load properly. For example, it wouldn't list the Radio stations after I asked him to close and reopen the app, although it did say it was connected. I hooked up a monitor to the NUC and it was froze and wouldn't respond to mouse clicks. I noticed that the NIC light was flashing like it was transferring data, so on a whim, I pulled the cable and then hooked it back up again. A few seconds later, it started playing.

I pulled the log file, but it's mostly greek to me. This happened around 14:45 today and I got there around 15:05.

http://xbmclogs.com/pgk55tnlh#
It's always a problem if you run openelec without a monitor plugged in. I don't think this is a problem with the remote app. I could imagine that it might be a problem with the "audio radio" add-on he is using. So I would do the following for some tests. And it seems he is having network problems:

Quote:17:17:58 T:140030367389440 ERROR: CCurlFile::FillBuffer - Failed: Couldn't resolve host name(6)

1. let a monitor plugged in for the time using Kodi and the plugin and see, if all works fine
2. disconnect the monitor to see, if it fails again

If it fails at stage "1." it could be either the add-on and you should report at the add-on specific thread or his own network at home, which you have to check then.
if it fails at stage "2." you have again 2 choices:

1. let the monitor connected
2. hardcode the EDID to simulate a monitor to the HTPC.

The reason for the second is, that the box can't make a proper HDMI handshake when it doesn't get proper EDID informations from the connected TV/AVR. That might screw the system up, as OpenElec is not made to run headless (without a monitor) out of the box. You have to tweak it a bit for that.

Greetings
Hi David. Thanks for helping with my problem. I actually left the monitor plugged in and turned on after I left yesterday in case he needed to do anything for me as I received feedback from forum members. Unfortunately, it did the same thing last night. The screen froze and everything stopped playing. Pulling the network cable and plugging it back in again caused the music to start again.

Is there a way to get a more detailed log file? Perhaps something that would show more information such as a network interruption or disconnect?
The monitor has to stay on...not off. If you switch it off and it is still connected, there is no EDID informations left, because it's turned off Wink.

Try it with the monitor switched on.

Otherwise you could enable debug logging in system settings->system->debug logging-> enable debug logging - then reproduce yoour issue and grab a new log for a more detailed logfile.

I'm a bit confused because of the "I pull the network cable and plug it in again and it works"-thing. That seems not to be a EDID/HDMI handshake problem rather than a network problem.

For this I would check the obvious things...change cables, setting up OpenElec with a static IP adress, check if something strange it set up in the router (cut connection at "x" o'clock or after "y" hours) and so on.
The monitor was actually left on last night so I think that can be ruled out.

The cables I ran into the basement were tested with a fluke and the OpenElec actually already has a static IP address. It's a Actiontec router from Verizon with no changes other than port forwarding. It's the same router I use at home without issue.

I'm thinking of installing Kodi on a laptop running Windows and leaving it there to see if it is a network issue or a problem with the NUC.
or try another add-on. Maybe it's add-on related

There is an Icecast add-on which works fine for me. Some stations are broken, but for the ones, which are playing, it's rock solid

and provide a Debug Log with debug logging enabled