Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Custom Kodi Builder + Auto Updater
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone,

I have a couple of questions here, looking for some help. I'm creating custom configs and layouts with the ccm for helix skin and I want to deploy and update it remotely if needed. Here are my questions.

1. If I have a fresh Kodi install (or even kodi preinstalled with other features and add ons I don't want), I want to create a script which prompt me to wipe out what's existing and install my build. How can I set up Kodi to do this? Also, how do i create the build itself so I can upload it to an external server which points to this notification message I'm trying to create?
2. If I want to update something on the build, how can I push that update to someone remotely so it prompts to update Kodi with my changes and updates from the external point.

Thanks!
what will you do with the first million you earn once we tell you the answer?
Anyone? This is for personal use btw, to update units I built for family and friends who are not tech savvy ..not sure what the above guy is indiciating here
Download our default Kodi build and install what you want. Tell the other one to do the same
Yes I have, it's just a pain when I want to add, remove, modify settings in Kodi, features, configs, etc...if I can do it remotely and push the config, would make my life a lot easier!
I have to say - the idea does sound good. Typically, I'll spend the hour or 2 to get a new device running just how I like it and then rarely touch it again. I've thought about writing a script to automate much of the process but of course each OS works a little differently (ie: Openelec vs Android).

I ended up just keeping a little 'README.txt' file which I'll refer to when getting a new device setup. Not ideal but works.

If I knew enough python though it sounds like something that could be done via an add-on. For instance, it could use a cloud storage service (Google Drive, Dropbox, etc) to sync various config files. Not sure how well it'd be able to update the guisettings.xml file though.. I've found out (the hard way) that Kodi needs to be stopped before any updates to this file will take effect.