Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Can we end-user please have the 'Edit' (button) function back here in the forums?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Lastly, I would say MediaPortal's forum could be used as a pro-agrument, seeing it's within the same "genre". I can't recall this being an issue over there, unless I've missed something.
pike Wrote:But this isn't an option for THIS FORUM engine as then it would mean EVERYONE would have that restriction and we don't want that (I don't have to explain why I hope)

Are you just guessing this is how it works or are you positive? Another forum I go on is running on vbulletin and we have 5-10 minutes to edit our posts. After that time is up we cannot edit our posts but the moderators can.
smcnally75 Wrote:Are you just guessing this is how it works or are you positive? Another forum I go on is running on vbulletin and we have 5-10 minutes to edit our posts. After that time is up we cannot edit our posts but the moderators can.

Yes, that is possible. What pike wants however is a third group, who aren't moderators but are able to override the edit time limit (such as developers).
I would like to Edit post in these forums, i remember i could in the past but i can't find the anymore!?
This feature has been removed for users because some people were abusing the feature.
blittan Wrote:you cant.. only moderators allowed (and special users)
FYI; "special users" include skinners and python scripters / plugin writters and similar people.
matt_cyr Wrote:This feature has been removed for users because some people were abusing the feature.

Weird, now the innocent good behaving forum users are punished. Just ban the abusers and give us the edit back...
I'm not criticizing here, just trying to gain understanding.

So...

What does it matter if somebody trolls and then edits/deletes their post?

Why should we care?

Do we need to be able to "prove" that they troll-ed in order to punish them?

I really can't think of any good ways to "abuse" the edit function.

I particularly agree with phunge's argument about the How-to threads.

I am a member of the TDIClub.com forums, and I have had to update incorrect or outdated information in my own How-To posts many times.

It makes it much more difficult to find useful information otherwise.

Again, I'm asking for enlightenment, not being argumentative.

-Wes
waldo22 Wrote:I'm not criticizing here, just trying to gain understanding.

So...

What does it matter if somebody trolls and then edits/deletes their post?

Why should we care?

Do we need to be able to "prove" that they troll-ed in order to punish them?

I really can't think of any good ways to "abuse" the edit function.

I particularly agree with phunge's argument about the How-to threads.

I am a member of the TDIClub.com forums, and I have had to update incorrect or outdated information in my own How-To posts many times.

It makes it much more difficult to find useful information otherwise.

Again, I'm asking for enlightenment, not being argumentative.

-Wes

seriously you have to ask? I miss the edit function as much as the next guy but.. image this
person X: troll.. @ person y
person Y: responds...(bad but hey he was trolled)

person X edits his post to be non trolled.

moderator comes by and sees that person Y is attacking person X without (seemingly) good reason..
So person Y gets punished while person X is off the hook.

Person y goes but but he trolled me.. moderator can't see what 'was' there.. so he can't go on the word of the user nor the post...

aka anarchy.
Is it just me that finds it funny that in a thread about not being able to edit your own posts, icekiller edited his last post Rolleyes
blubyu Wrote:Is it just me that finds it funny that in a thread about not being able to edit your own posts, icekiller edited his last post Rolleyes

That's not fair at all.... Confused
I agree it is asinine that users can't edit posts. It wastes space and causes the reader to have to go through pages upon pages of corrective posts to try and get at the content. Unfortunately, the xbox related boards seem to attract more that the average number of immature nitwits who would likely abuse it. I would still rather have that than the current setup.
icekiller Wrote:seriously you have to ask?

Yes, I had to ask.

Maybe it's just that I'm such a nice guy, Rolleyes I don't know, but I honestly couldn't understand how someone could abuse the edit function.

Now I "understand", in the sense that I get what you're saying, but is that really a problem on this board?

I mean, come on, people, "sticks and stones may break my bones" and all that.

It's called "turn the other cheek".

If someone trolls you, just don't respond. Or use the "quote" function, then say "don't troll".

Honestly, it sounds like my mother trying to make sure the wrong kid isn't unfairly punished.

Are we all pimply teenagers on this forum or what? I may be pimply, but I'll be 30 this year, and I don't consider myself a child.

How often do we really have this issue? Not very often, I'd wager.

If the person responds to a troll post, he probably deserves to be punished anyway. If he is a n00b, maybe he'll learn a lesson from it; not to respond to trolls.

If he's a veteran, he should know better; but maybe we can give him some leeway.

I think this forum is mostly full of dedicated, considerate, passionate, and mature people. It's silly to babysit them, and it hurts the productivity and vibrancy of the whole community.

Anyway, you all know how I feel now. I want edit.

-Wes
I have honestly no idea why some of you guys are making such a big deal out of it...

Here's some stats:

Quote:t029248 # Total Posts: 278 # Posts Per Day: 0.18
waldo22 # Total Posts: 127 # Posts Per Day: 0.44
blubyu # Total Posts: 26 # Posts Per Day: 0.15
lingenfr_xbmc # Total Posts: 60 # Posts Per Day: 0.67
phunqe # Total Posts: 64 # Posts Per Day: 0.04

With these numbers, I think my argument of using the PREVIEW function is as solid as ever.
We already have exceptions for the people that really needs to edit posts, atleast for people which we haven't missed
Sorry Pike. I just thought it was funny how the thread was about editing posts and then I saw one of the users had edited his post. That struck me as funny. I could care less if we can edit out posts or not. Believe me, the way I spell I always use the preview button Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5