Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: I'm the developer of Web Video Caster and Server Cast and I have some questions.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have had emails from a few users the past few days asking for some XML for Kodi and asking questions. I haven't used Kodi myself so I'm not really sure what is needed.

One of my users was kind enough to give me the xml that worked for him:

Code:
<playercorefactory>
<players>
<player name="WebVideoCaster" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
<filename>com.instantbits.cast.webvideo</filename>
<hidexbmc>true</hidexbmc>
<playcountminimumtime>120</playcountminimumtime>
</player>

</players>
<rules action="prepend">
<!---
********** EDIT THIS SECTION **********
-->
<rule video="true" player="WebVideoCaster"/> <!-- Default for anything else not listed -->
</rules>
</playercorefactory>

What I don't know is what you guys are doing with this? are you using it as a way to get videos to the Chromecast or just as an app launcher? or what?

Also, is there anything I should do to make this easier or better?

I will be adding that code above to my FAQ later today unless you give me something better to add.

Thanks.
This makes kodi call your app when a video should be played instead of playing it with our internal video player. If i got it right this means your App gets the URL / path to the file that should be played and it casts it to chromecast.

Well i wonder how this works with pathes like nfs://blahblah/my/cool/movie - does your app understand nfs, smb, ftp, sftp urls?
(2015-05-18, 22:17)Memphiz Wrote: [ -> ]This makes kodi call your app when a video should be played instead of playing it with our internal video player. If i got it right this means your App gets the URL / path to the file that should be played and it casts it to chromecast.

Well i wonder how this works with pathes like nfs://blahblah/my/cool/movie - does your app understand nfs, smb, ftp, sftp urls?

Interesting, thanks for the info.

Web Video Caster only supports http(s) and local files. Server Cast supports both of those plus ftp, ftps, sftp (only beta community right now), DropBox, and WebDav and hopefully the others will be supported in the near future. Aside from the Chromecast, Server Cast also casts to Smart TVs, DLNA/UPnP receivers, AppleTV, and has some very basic Roku support. I have not ever tested sharing with Server Cast any addresses which are not http(s) or local files, meaning while ftp for example is supported, it will not work if you create an Intent to open Server Cast passing ftp://....... to it.

I'm going to have to play around with Kodi it seems to see what all I can do to make my apps work better with it.
<player name="ServerCast" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
<filename>com.instantbits.cast.dcast</filename>
</player>

I use the above code to launch Server Cast in Kodi.

What I like about Server Cast is that I can use the app to watch movies from my network drive (due to having ftp) and being able to chromecast. And I can use it in kodi as an external player to cast movies from popular addons.

I only wish that I could use Server Cast to watch Network movies in KODI. As stated before KODI is not reliable when it comes to streaming SMB/FTP files from a network drive. ( I get "External player active click OKAY when playback has ended" I've tried everything possible i,e, archos video player. The file does play inside off kodi's internal player. I even bought the XBMC/Kodi Wrapper to make the smb url a http url but its very slow and unreliable)

Anyways I look forward to future updates instantbits
(2015-12-11, 10:00)xxsicrokerxx Wrote: [ -> ]I only wish that I could use Server Cast to watch Network movies in KODI.

What do you mean by this? also it might be better if we move this conversation to the Server Cast email.
I have tried it cast videos but not live TV like Filmon TV this code I use for Server cast
<playercorefactory>
<players>
<player name="ServerCast" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
<filename>com.instantbits.cast.dcast</filename>
</player>

</players>
<rules action="prepend">
<!---
********** EDIT THIS SECTION **********
-->
<rule protocols="smb" player="ServerCast" />
<rule dvdimage="true" player="ServerCast"/>
<rule protocols="rtmp" player="ServerCast"/>
<rule protocols="rtsp" player="ServerCast" />
<rule protocols="sop" player="ServerCast" />
<rule internetstream="true" player="ServerCast" />
<rule video="true" player="ServerCast"/> <!-- Default for anything else not listed -->
</rules>
</playercorefactory>
need help
@Telmar - that is a banned add-on (wiki) which is not supported here. Please do not request help relating to it, even indirectly.
(2015-12-21, 10:25)DarrenHill Wrote: [ -> ]@Telmar - that is a banned add-on (wiki) which is not supported here. Please do not request help relating to it, even indirectly.

Just out of curiosity, what is the banned add on? the live tv thing @Telmar mentioned?
Yes. There is a Film On PVR, but also an add-on by the same name which allows streaming of paid channels for free. It's the latter that is dodgy and is banned. If you mean the PVR then it's fine - it's one that is somewhat of a pain to differentiate.