Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Playing DVD ISOs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am trying to play an ISO made with DVD Decrypter. Just ONE copy (like a backup, on my Kodi machine) so I can put the original store-bought disc in the basement.

When I click on the ISO, after a 5 minute 15 second delay (7.5+ Gig ISO file), well, Kodi responds with something like "one or more files could not be played, see the log file for details". Interesting, I originally created a file location "/home/mike/Recorded TV" and added my ISO to it. Kodi creates a new location "Recorded TV (2)" with, I think, a second copy of the video files, but I don't know where they are. Please note there may be several startups of Kodi in the following log file, but I don't think so:

My Pastebin Log

I am running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (kernel is 3.16.0-37-generic, or the 14.04.1-Ubuntu SMP kernel).
Kodi is version 2:14.2-git20150327.1058-final-0trusty.
I did not download "Kodibuntu", but rather Ubuntu, then I added Kodi from the repository.
I am not using any add-ons, and I am using the default "skin", Confluence.

Computer:
Asus P5GC-MX/1333 (micro ATX), 4 GB of 800 MHz DDR-2 memory
Capacitors near CPU replaced for better stability
3.0 GHz dual-core Pentium (32-bit, I think)
80 Gig SATA hard drive (for testing, production server will use 2+ TB drive)
PCI-E GT630 PASSIVE COOLED video card (2 GB DDR-3 video RAM)
PSU is a Seasonic M-12 II 520-watt EVO Bronze, very very low hours

(Interesting, if I copy the .VOB, .IFO, .BUP files to a VIDEO_TS directory, and the parent of the VIDEO_TS has a name like "Family Sitcom Season 2 Disk 2", I can play the episodes/chapters with menus and everything, just like my DVD player.)

(I have been running Linux since 1998, only recently switching from Mandrake, Mandriva, Mageia to Ubuntu. I can understand the technical side well, but when I have compiler errors, nobody will help me. Ever. So don't ask me to compile. It simply is not possible.)

I just wanted to know if it would be possible to play from an ISO file, or if this is still an issue. Does the log tell you anything?
As long as the ISO has a default DVD structure inside then yes.

If your isos dont have VIDEO_TS directory then its not a a real DVD iso.
it's more likely that the filesystem in the iso is of the wrong type. lots of broken people/software create dvd isos with only an iso9660 filesystem. dvd isos need to have an udf (1.02) filesystem.
Sorry, the hard drive "borrowed" from my thrift shop computer just went titsup.

I've got a 320 GB SATA, zero hours, still in the anti-static bag. I'll have to get that one out and use it. I'll post back.
I have installed on the new 320 GB drive. A fairly "plain vanilla" install. Ubuntu 14.04 (with free restricted extras), then I added the Kodi repository and installed Kodi. I added libdvdcss2, and ran the shell script for install. Then I added "joe", the old WordStar-like text editor.

The outdated version of CDBurnerXP made a "version 2" UDF filesystem, but I don't know which version. I updated CDBurnerXP on my Windows machine, and made several ISOs. UDF versions 2.00, 2.01, 2.5 and 2.6 failed because "one or more files could not be played", here is the log:

Kodi log #2

Interesting, when I built a 1.02 UDF ISO, I got a different message in the logs:

Kodi log #3

Now, as we see, it complains about codecs.

(Remember, if I copy the IFO, BUP etc. to the directory CHiPS-season-2-disc-2, and the child directory is VIDEO_TS, I navigate menus, watch subtitles, everything.) Clearly I DO have the codecs (and libdvdcss2, and the menu library, since I installed restricted extras).

Am I close to playing ISOs? What more needs to be done?
Well you want to make an ISO of a DVD without removing the copy protection? Thats not going to work, libdvdcss or not.

Kodi has all the codecs necessary and the errors you have are failures to initialise the overlay codec, which is not the same as codec missing.

Make an iso of a DVD but without copy protection, else just put the DVD in drive and let kodi play it.

Also please dont use nouveau drivers.
The .IFO, .BUP, etc. were produced by DVD Decrypter. The ISO that it produces (as long as it is UDF 1.02) should be perfect, right?

So if an overlay is not initializing, why? Did it not have time to initialize? Were files missing, preventing it from initializing?
No idea what causes that, try v15 beta2

And again.

Please dont use Nouveau drivers
Kodi log #2 is not a debug log.