Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC 2 + WMP11 Beta 2 + UPnP + Samba = Hrmmm...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey there, new to the forums, but have been an extremely happy XBMC user for a long time. I've only got one problem that I can't get to the bottom of.

My Windows Media Player library contains both local music as well as music located on a FreeBSD fileserver running Samba. I have successfully connected Windows Media Player to XBMC using Media Player's UPnP library sharing. However, using XBMC I have only been able to listen to the music that is on the machine running Windows Media Player, any music located on Samba shares won't play. The files are listed when browsing the directories with XBMC, but they won't play. In Windows Media Player they play just fine as well.

I've read somewhere that you need to setup a samba user account "NETWORK" and give it read permissions for any share you intend to use through Windows Media Connect, but this doesn't seem to be working in this case.

Oh yeah, before you recommend an easier way or ask, "Why not just use Samba?" The reason I am not just using Samba shares is because I want the new Windows Media Player library sharing gives you complete access to all your playlists and star ratings and what not. Pretty handy.

Thanks in advance eh!
Nathan
question... can you get an other upnp client (not running on the same box as the server) to play these remote files?
Hey there, thanks for the reply. Sorry it took me so long to get back to ya, was out of town.

Strangest thing. I've tried to find a Mac or PC client that can connect to WMP11 Sharing or Windows Media Connect, and can't find one! I've tried all the resources listed on the Wikipedia page for UPnP, including Nero Showtime, Musicmatch Jukebox as well as an attempt at getting VLC player compiled with the UPnP plugin running on OSX. All fail to even recognize the WMP11 sharing, although XBMC does recognize it just fine.

Basically, I gave up. I don't particularly like UPnP (it's slow navigating UPnP shares via XBMC) and have decided to just move all my music to the local box anyways. A samba share to the WMP11 Playlists folder is fitting my needs quite well.

Thanks for the help though!