Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Only Live-TV works, most other features doesnt...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi @all,

some weeks ago i've already started a thread about the "connection lost"-message and that it wouldnt supressed as it should. Since then i changed a lot of my infrastructure and tested as well as i could. But i didnt get a satisfactory result.

Here comes what is working:
  • streaming Live-TV works without any problem, no matter what bandwith or what resolution.
  • switching channels works flawlessly and quick

Here the problems:
  • still getting the connection lost-messages, even if i set the option to suppress them
  • importing EPG is veeeeeerrrryyyyyy slow and its not complete
  • imorting recordings doesnt work at all

Here my setup:
  • streaming server: headless vdr-server (intel i3, 8 GB Ram, 9 TB recordings, 5 dvb-s2-tuner) with easyvdr 2.0 (vdr 2.2.0) and VNSI-plugin. dual boot to yaVDR 0.5 with vdr 2.06 with VNSI-Plugin. This machine is also used to stream via streamdev-server to streaming client 1.
  • streaming client 1: zotac box with an atom processor and geforce 610. This box doesnt have a dvb-tuner and its the living-room-receiver, which is mainly used as a streaming-client (vdr) via streamdev.
  • streaming client 2: standard personal computer (i7, 12 GB Ram, geforce GTX460): Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. Installed xbmc 13.2 and Kodi 14.2 (and also Isengard-Beta for a short time)
  • streaming client 3: file server (old Pentium 4, 8 GB Ram, 8 TB HDD) with Ubuntu 14.04. Installed Kodi 14.2

All clients with kodi or xbmc showing the same problems. No recordings, broken EPG, connection-lost-warnings. I installed the vdr-vnsi-plugin also to streaming client 1, because i wanted to see if its a problem specially with the machine (streaming server), but its the same. I booted the streaming server into yaVDR instead of easyVDR. This is an older setup with vdr 2.0.6 and based on ubuntu 12.04 i think. But it doesnt change anything.

I appreciate any hint or advice...

thanks, jennix
Just want to add that i compiled the vdr-vnsiserver-plugin from the official repository today for the streaming server. Doesnt change anything.

- jennix
Do not store EPG in database. VDR has its own. That tremendously speeds up reading of epg.

Please verify VDR's video directory. You set this with -v as an cmd line parameter for vdr.
Hi FernetMenta,

thanks for looking at it.

the command line for vdr is as follows:
Code:
/usr/bin/vdr --user=vdr --grab=/media/easyvdr01/photos --lib=/usr/lib/vdr/plugins -Pconflictcheckonly  -Pepgsearch  -Pepgsearchonly  -Pextrecmenu  -Pfemon  -Plive -p 8008 -i 0.0.0.0 --epgimages=/var/cache/vdr/epgimages -Pmarkad  -Pquickepgsearch  -Pstreamdev-server  -Psvdrposd  -Pepg2vdr  -Pcontrol  -Pdummydevice  -Pvnsiserver  -Psetup --record=/usr/lib/vdr/easyvdr-recordingaction --video=/srv/vdr/video.00 --config=/var/lib/vdr --watchdog=500 --log=3 --epgfile=/var/cache/vdr/epg.data --port=6419 --shutdown=/usr/lib/vdr/easyvdr-shutdown.wrapper

the video-directory ist set as parameter "--video=", i think that this is the same as "-v".

EPG-import is now set up to dont hold it in the Kodi-database, its better and complete now, thanks.

I uploaded a kodi.log (debug-mode) for a startup of kodi until it was finished to import the epg to: http://xbmclogs.com/pihppoorb

And i uploaded the corresponding syslog with vdr-messages for the same time to: http://xbmclogs.com/pgkmc6mez

cheers, jennix
please set vdr logging level to 3 and post syslog including start of vdr and when navigating to recordings.
is this folder valid and does vdr user have access rights? /srv/vdr/video.00
Hi,

here is the log of the vdr from startup of the machine until kodi is finished with loading the EPG: http://xbmclogs.com/p9iym6f9s
and here is the kodi.log, also from startup (of kodi, not the machine) til its finished with EPG: http://xbmclogs.com/p4qmrdmtj

The loglevel of vdr is at 3. The recording-path /srv/vdr/video.00 is valid, the VDR works with it. I can also watch recordings at streaming client 1 via streamdev. In the kodi.log you can see, that kodi sometimes says this:
Code:
18:48:21 T:4308   DEBUG: AddOnLog: VDR VNSI Client: Server requested recordings update
18:48:24 T:4372   ERROR: AddOnLog: VDR VNSI Client: cVNSIData::ReadResult - request timed out after 3 seconds
18:48:24 T:4372   ERROR: AddOnLog: VDR VNSI Client: cVNSIData::GetRecordingsList - Can't get response packed
18:48:24 T:4372   ERROR: PVR - PVR::CPVRClient::GetRecordings - addon 'VDR-Network-Streaming-Interface (VNSI) Server:easysrv:34890' returned an error: unknown error
18:48:24 T:4372   ERROR: PVR - PVR::CPVRClients::GetRecordings - cannot get recordings from client '1': unknown error
18:48:24 T:4372   DEBUG: CPVRRecordings - PVR::CPVRRecordings::Update - updating recordings
18:48:24 T:6552   ERROR: AddOnLog: VDR VNSI Client: cVNSIData::ReadResult - request timed out after 3 seconds
18:48:24 T:6552   ERROR: AddOnLog: VDR VNSI Client: cVNSIData::GetEPGForChannel - Can't get response packed

At the moment the timeout-setting is at 3 seconds, but its the same if i set this up to 15 seconds.

Thanks,

cheers, Jens
I suspect one of your other plugins to change the recoding's state. There are tons of those:
Code:
Jun  8 18:47:26 easysrv vdr: [3463] VNSI: Recordings state changed (485)
Jun  8 18:47:26 easysrv vdr: [3463] VNSI: Requesting clients to reload recordings list

vnsi observes the recording's state of vdr and if that changes it triggers an update. This way Kodi stays in sync. You have 1200 state changes during startup which is not normal. Can you disable all plugins bur vnsiserver and try again? Then enable the others one by one.
(2015-06-08, 20:31)FernetMenta Wrote: [ -> ]I suspect one of your other plugins to change the recoding's state. There are tons of those:
Code:
Jun  8 18:47:26 easysrv vdr: [3463] VNSI: Recordings state changed (485)
Jun  8 18:47:26 easysrv vdr: [3463] VNSI: Requesting clients to reload recordings list

vnsi observes the recording's state of vdr and if that changes it triggers an update. This way Kodi stays in sync. You have 1200 state changes during startup which is not normal. Can you disable all plugins bur vnsiserver and try again? Then enable the others one by one.

Disabled all plugins, even setup and dummydevice, except vnsi. But at startup (without any connected client) it still reads these massive recordings state changes: http://xbmclogs.com/pr1kqqpgx
Afterwards i started kodi, it connects, but didnt show any recording. Streaming live-tv works.

BTW: it reads these state changes only once, at the first start of vdr after the machine was booted. If i restart vdr without rebooting the machine, it doesnt show this amount of state changes. Here is a log, beginning with the request for restarting vdr: http://xbmclogs.com/pbdtm2ytv

I have to admit that this machine has a huge amount of recordings: more than 4500 recordings at about 8 TB over all, splitted in 4 harddrives, which are mounted to /srv/vdr/video.00, /srv/vdr/video.01, /srv/vdr/video.02 and /srv/vdr/video.03.

cheers, jennix
Quote:more than 4500 recordings at about 8 TB over all

indeed, that's a scenario I haven't tested so far and unfortunately I can't. Maybe I find something looking into the code ...
The problem with Kodi's PVR API is that it only can request the entire recordings list at once. Can you try to increate the connection timeout in VNSI addon settings dialog?
(2015-06-10, 09:00)FernetMenta Wrote: [ -> ]The problem with Kodi's PVR API is that it only can request the entire recordings list at once. Can you try to increate the connection timeout in VNSI addon settings dialog?
I tried it already with 15 seconds instead of 3. This is the highest possible value in the vnsi-settings. But it doesnt work either. I think that i have exceeded an unknown limit with the size of my recording-repository. A half year ago VNSI was working even with my recordings. At this time it has roundabout 4000 recordings and 7.x TB. I'll try to test this by moving some directories out of the recording-space...

cheers, jennix
Hi @all,

it lasts a veerrryyy long time, but now i managed it to reorganize the recordings-folder within my VDR. It still have this huge amount of recordings, but now in one filesystem. Before this reorganizing it was distributed over 4 harddisks, and so it had have much symlinking and stuff. Now its alltogether in one 8-TB-Harddisk.

But actually the vnsi-addon still cannot read the whole list of recordings, so inside of kodi i cant see even one of these recordings. I tried to use xvdr instead of vnsi, and while a vdr-xvdr-plugin is existent, there is obviously no working xvdr-addon for kodi 15.x.

So I set up an installation of kodi 14.2 on windows as a client, because for this version i have a working xvdr-addon, and surprisingly this really does the job! There is no problem to work with all recordings inside of this kodi-installation. The source-VDR is the same, it is a machine with easyvdr 2.1, and this vdr runs with both vdr-plugins in parallel: vnsi and xvdr. If i switch at the kodi-client from xvdr to vnsi, i still have the old problem, that i couldnt see the recordings.

In short: kodi 14.2 with xvdr works, and kodi 14.2 with vnsi doesnt.In kodi 15.x and vnsi its the same like in 14.2.

So maybe the part of the initial reading of the list of recordings is more robust in xvdr as in vnsi. Unfortunately xvdr isnt really available anymore, at least for newer versions of kodi. And xvdr has its drawbacks with the not-always-working dll-registration-topic.

My question is now: could vnsi be improved in any way to support such systems like mine with a big list of recordings as xvdr already does?

And i want to state that i didnt want to blame anyone, i'm really aware of the big service which is brought to us by the guys who are programming kodi and its addons...

Thx, jennix
I need something to reproduce. Can you duplicate the issue with a recordings folder that misses the ts files (or just has some very small ones)? If so, you could share this with me.
Thanks for looking at this issue, you got a PM...

cheers, jennix
thanks. I will look into it but need to finish some other things first.
Pages: 1 2