Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: ScopeNox - Aeon Nox for 2.35/Scope Projector Screens (Zoomed CIH)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I found this skin this morning and i love it, thank you.

I just have a question about how aspect ratios work with this skin.

1920 x 1080 fits perfectly with black bars encoded into movie.

1920 x 800 fits width wise but is too high without the black bars encoded and

1920 x 1080 fits width wise but is too high with black bars not encoded into movie.

To have all of my movies displaying correctly must i re-encode all movies to 1920 x 1080 with black bars?

Thanks.
That sounds very strange! When you say too high, do you mean the bar is twice as big at the bottom? Could you take a screenshot to show an example of each?
Note : Discovered a few changes weren't committed Sad Releases 1.8 (here) has them included. Only differences are resized images for wall view and icons view, along with an updated logo.
(2016-01-23, 15:12)Funkd Wrote: [ -> ]That sounds very strange! When you say too high, do you mean the bar is twice as big at the bottom? Could you take a screenshot to show an example of each?

Hi Funkd.

By "too high" i mean the image is too large for the screen height-wise.

I tried to take some pics describing my OP but i just couldn't get it to work as different films encoded the same way as the test films were displaying different. I didnt want to try just one batch of films.

So i think rather than me getting the skin to work to meet a number of different aspect ratios (unless it already does) i should probably change my method of encoding to suit the skin.

How do you recommend the films to be encoded to work with your skin?

I have a 2.35:1 screen that zooms in to fill the screen with the image. I do not have an anamorphic lens.

Thanks.
You shouldnt have to reencode anything.

The way it should work (you will know most of this, just typing it all out so we're on the same page) :

1.) 1920 x 1080 with the black bars encoded (2.35/2.40/21:9) : Projector should be zoomed so that the black bars are off screen and the image fills the screen.

2.) 1920 x 800 should look the same as the above without having to change anything

3.) 1920 x 1080 (16:9 or 4:3 format) the image will spill out of the screen and require you to either zoom the projector back out or zoom the image out via Kodi (although you lose use of all the pixels in this case)

If 2 is spilling out over the screen could you check the Zoom in Kodi? Maybe it was set by mistake at one point and I think Kodi saves it for that movie then. Or it may be trying to display it full screen like it would for someone using a lens? I'm guessing it must be stretching the image vertically? It will be a setting a Kodi anyway, you wont have to reencode anything.
OK so im setting up a few test files and isolating them from the library so i dont confuse them with any others.

Point number 3? 1920 x 1080 (16:9 or 4:3 format) : Im confused with this one. If its 1920x1080 its going to be the same size as number 1 right? But the image spills out of the screen due to the lack of black bars? Is that right?

I didnt even know Kodi had a zoom function so im assuming at the moment that its not a Kodi zoom issue but ill still check it out if i can find the option.

Ill report back soon.
Yeah point 1 and 3 have the exact same resolution, just that 1 has black bars encoded so it still spills out over the screen but the parts outside of the screen are black.

When the video, thats causing the issue, is playing bring up the OSD and click the eye symbol (I think its that one) and show the Video Settings. Zoom amount should be 1.00, Pixel Ratio 1.00 and View Mode should be Normal.
OK.

So

1920x1080 with black bars fits perfectly.

1920x800 spills over the bottom of the screen, see the below pic. Also added a screen shot of the properties of the video to be sure of the resolution.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q257/...G_8494.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q257/...20x800.png

and 1920x1080 no black bars fills the screen in height but not width. If i zoom this in to fit width-wise then it spills over the top and bottom. Its like its the wrong aspect ratio....could that be it?

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q257/...G_8495.jpg

I checked the zoom feature in Kodi and its as you said.

Now, my projector has an auto zoom feature. I dont know if this is causing any issues but i doubt it. The projector recognizes a 2.35 image and will zoom into to a preset setting to fill the screen, it does this with the Scope Nox skin because its a 2.35:1 image.

Prior to Scope Nox ive been using a player core file that plays the movies through an external player, MPC-HC, This plays the 1920x1080 with black bars and the 1920x800 perfectly but displays the 1920x1080 no black bars the same as Scope Nox, see last image, it zooms OUT of its 2.35:1 preset and into its 16:9 default preset.

Hope this is helping.
(2016-01-25, 15:14)kassysimon Wrote: [ -> ]1920x1080 no black bars fills the screen in height but not width. If i zoom this in to fit width-wise then it spills over the top and bottom. Its like its the wrong aspect ratio....could that be it?

1920 x 1080 with no black bars would 16:9 and when displayed on a 2.35/2.40 screen it will have pillars (black bars left/right).

Option here is to view it like this or zoom in and add the scope bars but that will cover the top and bottom of the image and you will be missing that info so not many people do this. People would usally put scope bars on a 16:9 image when its a variable aspect ratio movie where it switches from 2.35 to 1.78 (16:9) at various times throughout the movie.

(2016-01-25, 15:14)kassysimon Wrote: [ -> ]1920x800 spills over the bottom of the screen, see the below pic. Also added a screen shot of the properties of the video to be sure of the resolution.

For the 1920x800 image, is the width correct but the height isnt? Or is the image moved vertically?

Also can you disable the projectors autozoom and set the zoom so that your 1920x1080 (with black bars - letterbox) appears correctly, then try the other resolutions again.
1920x800: Yes, the width is correct. It just spills over that little bit on the bottom.

1920x1080: thanks! That makes sense. I thought I was doing something wrong.
What aspect ratio is your screen? 2.35/2.40?
I'm still confused Smile Not sure why that would happen. 1920x800 would be a 2.40 aspect ratio so would be slightly less height than 2.35 (1920x817). So if it was displayed correctly, with the width filling the screen width exactly (no bars or overspill) then you would have slight black bars above/below the image. So I'm not sure how the height is to big but the width fits perfectly. When this video is playing do the zoom and pixel ratio show 1.00? And there arent any bars at the top? The projector or a setting in Kodi might be stretching the vertical to fill the full 1080. Does the image of the 1920x800 look the same size as the 1920x1080?
Found something, try this :

System -> Settings -> Video -> Playback -> "Allowed error in aspect ratio to minimise black bars", is that set to anything? If so set it to none.
(2016-01-25, 15:47)Funkd Wrote: [ -> ]I'm still confused Smile Not sure why that would happen. 1920x800 would be a 2.40 aspect ratio so would be slightly less height than 2.35 (1920x817). So if it was displayed correctly, with the width filling the screen width exactly (no bars or overspill) then you would have slight black bars above/below the image. So I'm not sure how the height is to big but the width fits perfectly. When this video is playing do the zoom and pixel ratio show 1.00? And there arent any bars at the top? The projector or a setting in Kodi might be stretching the vertical to fill the full 1080. Does the image of the 1920x800 look the same size as the 1920x1080?

What if my screen IS 2.40 and not 2.35? Would that explain it?

Tapatalk is screwing up my replies.

Give me five.