Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: help with G: drive
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Guys,

I have just installed a new HDD in my chipped xbox. I have installed XBMC as the default dash using Auto Installer Deluxe 3.10. I have formatted both F: and G: partitions. My problem is that XBMC shows the G: drive as empty with 0 free space. I can ftp directly to the g: drive using FlashFXP but can not upload files to it. However when I just load up Auto Installer Deluxe, I can see the G: drive with 170GB free... I am pretty sure that my bios supports larger HDD's (it is 320GB.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
try putting a file on the drive using osmething else besides xbmc. heard some rumors that fixed this issue for others.
Hads the same issue on a softmad this weekend.... even the same size drive!

I CAN confirm any random file placed in the g drive, I used unleashX to copy a small file from my cache folder, brought the g drvie to life in XBMC!
Thanks for the quick reply boardopboy and spiff.

Yep, placing a small file on the drive using the file manager in Auto Installer Deluxe fixed the problem.

Cheers guys Smile
Probably a stupid question :
Is it necessary to have a g drive ?
Mine is 0 bytes in size.
When I make the total of the different drives I have the total of the capacity of my HD.
I tried copying even a small file which doesn't work of course because it's 0 bytes big.
G: is required because of the file system issues present in the Xbox and the BIOSes currently in use. You need to format using the F + G partitions ONLY if your disk is larger than 250 GB. You need to format G: using 32K clusters in XBPartitioner if your drive is larger than 400 GB.

I can personally confirm this, I have a 500 GB harddisk. C, E, X, Y, and Z are all the standard sizes, F is 137 GB with 16K clusters, and G is the remainder of the drive (300something GB), formatted with 32K clusters. After I first formatted it I did fill up G with data to test for corruption issues, there were none. I DID experience issues with a Linux distro running on G. Essentially, the distro used for XMugen does not understand the way that XBPartitioner formatted G, and cannot access it. It had the same problem with F.

I resolved this by formatting F using another dashboard, I think UnleashX but it could have been Evox. Once F was formatted, Linux worked happily on it and I was able to get crazy with Mugen Smile
my HD is 160 GB.
aprox 150 gb went to F
so that's wy my G is 0 bytes ,I guess.
So if I understand well everything is ok ?
I only need a G drive , if F is to big ?
G is only *required* if your drive is larger than 260GB. (250GB for F using 32K cluster size, and roughly 10GB for the other partitions.)

Alternatively you can choose to format F with 16K cluster size yeilding a max size of 137GB for better compatibility. In this case, everything else would go to G drive which can be formated as either 137GB or 250GB depending on the cluster size. (You need to use XBPartitioner to format with 32K cluster size.)