Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Is it possible to hook LEDs directly to Asus Chromebox for Ambilight?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I recently switch from a Raspberry Pi B to an Asus Chromebox and I will never look back! This thing is amazing compared to what I was used to.

Anyway, my next project is to install a custom ambilight solution using WS2801 LEDs. I have been searching and reading for a few days now but I haven't found enough answers to get started.

Everything I've been reading, I need to still use a Raspberry Pi (or Arduino) to control the LEDs. If I have to go this route, I don't quite understand how to hook the Pi to the Chromebox so that the Pi controls the LEDs and the Chromebox runs OpenELEC.

Also, would it be possible to hook a device directly to the Chromebox that would control the LEDs instead of using a separate controller (PI, Arduino)?

Thanks so much for the assistance.
Your best option if you don't want to get your hands dirty is Lightpack. I also did my research not long ago for an out of the box kind of solution.

http://lightpack.tv/how

Conection is made by USB

From their FAQ:

Quote:Does it work with XBMC, OpenElec, etc?
Yes. Prismatik can be run on Linux which is typical OS for this and many other media centers software. Prismatik’s interface should be disabled with a key “--nogui”. Please take notice that basic settings (like turning off/on, switching profiles etc) is performed with XBMC plug-in. Also it's possible to run Lightpack with 3rd-party software, like BobLight on your OpenElec mediacenters etc.

Edit: There ARE other few alternatives but from UK. Check https://www.reddit.com/r/Lightpack/comme...ive_today/
I did some research on lightpack, but for my 55" I would need two of them. I don't mind getting my hands dirty and am comfortable with soldering, programming, etc. However, doing a DIY solution will cost me about $70 since I already have an unused PI.

There are a few DIY projects I've seen that allow passthrough to HDMI using a splitter and a PI. That may be the way I need to go to still use the Chromebox as the media player and the PI as the processor for the lights. I was just hoping someone figured out a way to use the Chromebox as both.
There is something similar to Lightpack, it is called Ambibox from Lab-Team. Their e-shop is on Ebay http://www.ebay.com/sch/labstore/m.html?...7675.l2562

With the 90 LEDs option will do for your 55" TV and cheaper than 1 Lightpack. Though depending on where you live not sure about shipping costs.
(2015-06-11, 19:55)Veronica Wrote: [ -> ]There is something similar to Lightpack, it is called Ambibox from Lab-Team. Their e-shop is on Ebay http://www.ebay.com/sch/labstore/m.html?...7675.l2562

With the 90 LEDs option will do for your 55" TV and cheaper than 1 Lightpack. Though depending on where you live not sure about shipping costs.

I've never heard of this one. This is interesting and would be around the same cost if I built something from scratch, but with less headache. I'm doing a little more research on this. I see how easy it is to hook up the LEDs, but what does this box plug into? It says it will work with an HTPC, game system, etc, but I don't see the HDMI hook ups on the unit.

More specifically, for a Chromebox, would you plug the Ambibox into the Chromebox through a USB port? I don't see a mention of OpenELEC so I'm concerned there too. However, if it will work for my setup, this may be a winner!
Yes USB port same as Lightpack. It's basically the same system. You find more info of lightpack because the creator/s speak english natively but Ambibox from Lab-Team seems to speak russian so i bet there is info for that in the russian forums. Thing is that i would say it's exactly as lightpack, there are even other clones of Lightpack but at least Ambibox has a well known supported software for different systems including off course Lightpack. The software provided by them (Ambibox for Windows only) is better than lightpack prismatik if you run windows. Lightpack prismatik cross-platform software can be very tricky.

Here i found a recent tutorial to setup lightpack using Boblight addons in Openelec, it's for raspi2 but can be used for other boxes so thats not an issue.
http://techbits.io/getting-started-with-...erry-pi-2/

AMBIvision is new technology and the connection is not made by USB but vga/hdmi, if you are interested in that technology better then research more, AmbiLED HD connection is with USB.
Thanks, Veronica. This is very helpful.

Now I just need to decide if I want to use this only for my Chromebox, or if I want to expand it to all my HDMI devices (PS4, BluRay, RetroArch, etc). I like the idea of ht AmbiVision. It's a nice small package.
Yes AmbiVision idea looks good at first sight and yes it's a tiny little box BUT the problem will be in the connections of several devices, which is the setup that most people will want.

See the tiny box as the leds, now EVERY device you want to use with the "leds" MUST have 2 connections: 1 direct connection to TV (to display video) and 1 connection to the "leds".

NOW if you have 4 devices means EACH one must be connected directly to TV (easy current setup), then apart you somehow need to connect EACH device using another output port not in use (This applies for SCART/S-Video/Composite/Component) OR in case of a single HDMI output use a HDMI splitter(you MUST) TO the single VGA port of the AmbiVision box or "leds".

So you will needs to spend also in cables, splitter(s) and converter(s).

ALSO unless you manually connect each device you want o use with AmbiVision box to it's single VGA port (disconnect one in use to connect other) YOU WILL NEED a VGA Splitter/Switch too.

Bottom line they should have used a HDMI port instead of VGA... sigh!
Just google for adalight. Buy arduino micro, ws2801 and 5v6a power supply.
For a DIY project the best tutorials i've found so far are:

http://www.tweaking4all.com/home-theatre...11-ws2812/

http://www.instructables.com/id/Build-yo.../?ALLSTEPS

Good luck!
I think I have it narrowed down to either the AmbiBox (for $90) or DIY for relatively the same cost. If I go the DIY route, I could potentially have many more LEDs than the 90 that come with the AmbiBox. Would I notice a huge difference on a 55" plasma if I increase the # of LEDs? I'm debating dedicating a Raspberry PI and having more LEDs, vs a simple install and less (90) LEDs.
I am asking myself also.
But why not ambiled ?... i hesitate because of the lack of feedback, but it looks nice on the paper.
(2015-06-15, 19:52)skorpi0wn Wrote: [ -> ]I think I have it narrowed down to either the AmbiBox (for $90) or DIY for relatively the same cost. If I go the DIY route, I could potentially have many more LEDs than the 90 that come with the AmbiBox. Would I notice a huge difference on a 55" plasma if I increase the # of LEDs? I'm debating dedicating a Raspberry PI and having more LEDs, vs a simple install and less (90) LEDs.

I have a 50" Plasma and using a 30 LED/m strip and I have 108 LED's doing a full wrap on all 4 sides. I think its the perfect amount for my tv. A 55" wouldn't take many more for the same distance between LED's so your in the ballpark I think with 90.
(2015-06-15, 19:52)skorpi0wn Wrote: [ -> ]I think I have it narrowed down to either the AmbiBox (for $90) or DIY for relatively the same cost. If I go the DIY route, I could potentially have many more LEDs than the 90 that come with the AmbiBox. Would I notice a huge difference on a 55" plasma if I increase the # of LEDs? I'm debating dedicating a Raspberry PI and having more LEDs, vs a simple install and less (90) LEDs.

Oh you will notice the difference, plus the leds on both systems are different. For example in Lightpack/Ambibox one strip can have 3 to 9 leds while in a DIY project you purchase a single led strip with separated LEDs. The later is better because you control each LED and so you can configure it to the way you like it and get better resolution of the colors and higer FPS. In Lightpack you control each strip of 3-9 LEDs, you can't control each LED.

hope i explained right lol
Pages: 1 2