Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Bluetooth Headphones - Mac Mini?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Using Beta 1.

I thought it might be cool to try a nice set of wireless bluetooth headphones with Kodi yesterday and my Mac Mini. They paired up fine and showed up as an audio out option in Kodi, and when I switched to them, I heard all the GUI sounds through them as I would expect.

However, turning on a video with passthrough audio, the audio reverted right back to the main speakers. If I turned passthrough off, I could hear audio through the headphones as I wanted, but it sounded AWFUL.

Am I missing something or is the compatibility just not there yet?
If you are using passthru audio you'll probably need to pair the headphones with whatever device you are passing through to.
Ahh, didn't know that. So instead of pairing them to the Mac Mini, I'd actually have to pair them to the Yamaha amp (which doesn't support it) to get sound via bluetooth. Bummer.
Passthrough, as the name implies, always passes though and goes to a separate passthrough device, also defined in audio settings.
How many times have I checked that off and never thought of what it does. Smile

So for the most part, if anyone here is using wireless headphones with Kodi, they are more than likely using the wireless link with the device outputting the sound, not the Kodi device itself. And that's basically how it's meant to be used.
nah - turn off pass through (the wireless headphone won't support this), set audio config to fixed 48000hz samplerate in kodi audio settings (this is the problem when it sounds strange) and pair the headphone with the macmini.

I would not say that this is the way its meant to be used but its A way for using a Bluetooth headphone. (if it doesn't sound right - play with the samplerate).
Hey Memphiz - If I switch audio to headphones, and the samplerate option disappears, am I out of luck with these particular phones? I see ability to set samplerate in settings when set to optical out, but as soon as I switch the audio out choice to the headphones in Kodi, the option to set the samplerate goes away.
Set the preset to "fixed" which will show the samplerate option again. Also ensure that you have expert settings level turned on (lower left in the settings menu of the confluence skin).
This worked awesome, thanks so much. I set it back to fixed, put resample quality to high, and actually set it down to 44.1 (for some reason the sound was still really bad at 48, but modifying resample quality made a huge difference. Sounds really great even from my cheap 2.0 bluetooth over the ears. Bravo. Really nice.