Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Random crash since update
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Since an update I have done a few days ago (without looking at the binary package), half the time, the media-center freeze during playback.
Sometimes a few lags announces the arrival of the failure and others, it stops a beating without warning.
I completely loses control of the system and when I want to connect through ssh, it asks me for a password (which indicates that it is seen as online), but it returns me an error message: "shell request failed on channel 0 ".
If by chance, I was already connected via ssh, I get another error that I did not copy but I would add that if I can reproduce.

I had not been updated for 1 or 2 months so difficult to say where does the error but I was hoping you would have an idea about the origin of the problem.

I would avoid having to reinstall and reconfigure all if possible ...
Well, as it seems hard to SSH in when error comes up, you could provide the kodi-old.log directly after the next boot.

For Linux:

If not alreay installed, install this before reproducing your issue:
Code:
sudo apt-get install pastebinit

after the installation of pastebinit is done, enable debug logging in system settings and try to reproduce your issue. If you can't SSH in when the error comes up, reboot and then grab to kodi-old.log with the following command:

Code:
pastebinit ~/.kodi/temp/kodi-old.log

Be aware, you only reboot once after the error comes up. Kodi-old.log is overwritten with a "non-error-log" if you reboot twice

If you are on OpenElec, pastebinit is already installed, so:

Code:
pastebinit /storage/.kodi/temp/kodi-old.log

If those are present, you can provide crashlogs, too. But I don't know the correct location for them..but I think you will find them somewhere under the .kodi folder.

From the pastebin commands you will get an URL back which you can post here.

Greetings
Also note that I have problems with the volume from the MAJ. The volume changes without reason between 2 episodes / movies. I tried to turn up the volume from -60dB to 0dB and set this default but nothing changed... The volume of which I speak is that of kodi, adjustable from the yatzee program on android.

I reactivated the logs on XBMC (I disabled to minimize the stress on my ssd). I would put a log when I get the bug again.

Obviously, when I put surveillance, the bug no longer occurs but when my wife watches her series, she sometimes has to restart 3 times for a single episode ...
Quote:but when my wife watches her series, she sometimes has to restart 3 times for a single episode ...

About what are we talking? Local files or an internet stream? If internet stream, which addon?

The volume change might be caused of the different mastering/ripping/conversion of those files...might not be a Kodi related issue.
local files and the volume switch from 100% to 25-50% (i use yatzee to change volume...)

edit :

i had the probleme with some old files too so i don't thinks the codecs was in cause.
We'll see more after you provided the log
Here my log :
http://pastebin.com/aNgQ49Nq

I don't have a crashlog... When I reset the htpc, the LED showing disk activity was blinking like a Christmas tree.
I then rebooted Kodi, and restarted the episode before the time of the crash but there was no other error so I doubt this is a problem of video file ...

EDIT 1
New crash, new file and this time I was already logged in ssh. I launched the command "top" and this is what I see:

EDIT 2
I wanted to kill kodi so i writed "killall kod" and then "Tab" for auto-completion but i get this.
Code:
killall kod-bash: xmalloc : .././subst.c:8176 : impossible d'allouer 112 octets (1826816 octets alloués)
Connection to 192.168.0.105 closed.

and then kodi restarted alone and the sound was lowered from 0.0dB to -24.0dB for the same episode than EDIT 1.
Quote:21:27:01 T:140522276849600 NOTICE: ADDONS: Using repository repository.superrepo.org.helix.repositories
21:27:01 T:140522276849600 NOTICE: ADDONS: Using repository repository.superrepo.org.helix.regional.europe.france
21:27:01 T:140522276849600 NOTICE: ADDONS: Using repository repository.superrepo.org.helix.others.adult
21:27:01 T:140522276849600 NOTICE: ADDONS: Using repository repository.m4x1m

21:27:01 T:140522276849600 NOTICE: ADDONS: Using repository repository.xbmc.org
21:27:01 T:140522276849600 NOTICE: ADDONS: Using repository repository.superrepo.org.helix.repositoriesincladult
21:27:01 T:140522276849600 NOTICE: ADDONS: Using repository repository.aeon.nox.silvo
21:27:01 T:140522276849600 NOTICE: ADDONS: Using repository repository.regss
21:27:01 T:140522276849600 NOTICE: ADDONS: Using repository repository.superrepo.org.helix.all

Remove those repositories which are marked in red...those are banned as they are 1. illegal and 2. might causing issues. So to be sure it's Kodi or anything else and not those repos, please remove them first.

You can achieve that via uninstalling them, or you rename your ~/.kodi folder to ~/kodi-old and reboot. Then you will loose all your settings, addons and repositories (it's like a factory reset), but you have backuped them in the kodi-old folder. So you can restore them at any time you want.

After you have done this, provide a new clean log if the issue comes up again. If it doesn't come up again, you know where the issue was Wink
It not that simple.

Its the addons that come from those places that may cause issues, the repos themselves only provide addons and therefore wont do anything by themselves. Personally Im unsure that the addons which come from those sources get disabled automatically if repo is removed)
Also illegal issues aside removing repos doenst undo any damage or configurations such addons forced on the Kodi install.

The fastest and easiest way is the time tested renaming of the userdata (wiki) folder.
The idea behind that is to determine quickly if the issue also exists in 100% default skin and with no addons installed in order to get some unadulterated results.
If renaming resolves it, then ideally one can revert back to the backup (with all repos/addons/skins) and disable one skin/addon/service addon at a time until finding the guilty party/parties.

To me when many addons/repos exist in a problematic system this is the best troubleshooting method to overrule 3rd party interference.
I am willing to remove Superrepo but I would still like to know why these are illegals (see http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=107331 for repository.m4x1m OR http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=167893 for repository.regss) and moreover I use these repositories for years without problems.
I was not even being using them at the moment of the crash ...

Besides the crashes are quite random (anything for 2-3 days and then 4 times of 2 videos in one night ...) so it'll be annoying having to reconfigure the entire video databases.
I'm sorry, when I was mistaken by some repositories being illegal. I just didn't knew them so I thougt, it won't hurt to remove them. If those repositories are listed here in the forums and aren't against the forum rules, then I think everything is fine....

BUT...for a test, I would still remove those addons/repositories to find the culprit. For a clean log it's not that unimjportant to have a "fresh" install without any repository or addon installed and using the default skin. So I would start with a clean installation and if you still have issues, provide those logs. Like I already said...if the issue didn't come up again with a clean installation, you can try to install one addon after the other and see, after which installation the issue comes up again.

If an addon or a skin (or anything else) causes the issue, then it would be best, to report to the maintainer and the specific thread of the addon/skin or (in case of anything superrepo related) to ask anywhere else, but not here Wink...no offense Wink

Greetings
There is definitely something going wrong with the kodi process given the high load average 31.17 and climbing fast. 212% CPU and 93.9% ram.
It seem this was some addon who was in cause. I renamed my addon folder and process went by 10-15% after reboot.

I will search for the bad one.