Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: No XBMC issue: Just seeking help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is not a XBMC issue but rather a Windows xp home edition problem ?

I thought that I would like to see if anyone else has this problem and hence have a solution.

APOLOGISES in advance.
  • Let's say you have a USB hard disk which contains the movies you want to watch in XMBC
  • Then you share it (RIGHT CLICK the hard disk > SHARING and SECURITY > and then set the hard disk to be sharing)
  • So now your USB hard disk is available for sharing over the network and hence XBMC can see it and you can watch your movies Smile
  • Now reboot
  • The sharing folder is now gone from the USB drive. The drive is not longer sharing again ! You nee to re-do the SHARING process again every time you reboot !

Is it just me ? :mad:
it depends on the system and the way in which the drive is detected. when I used external USB harddisk enclosures, I would only "lose" the shares if the disks were not attached at boot-time. If you shutdown and boot back up with them attached in the same way, the shares are kept (in my experiences).
I have the same experience as SleepyP. Now, what you can do as a workaround if you are attaching your drive while windows is already running is to set the network share with an autorun.inf:

- Create a new file in a text editor.
- Write something like this in the first line: net share usbdrive=H:\

with H: being the drive letter of the usb drive (you might have to set a permanent drive letter in your system settings) and "usbdrive" being the name of the share.

- Save the file as share.bat on your usb drive.

Now do the same steps again and create a file called: autorun.inf and as it contents you want something like:

[autorun]
open = share.bat

Now, the drive should be automatically shared when you attach the drive.
Thank you. I will try this out !!