Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players ISO Menus
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Not sure what you find to be "confused"?

It looks to me like you're trying to play a 3D TAB which is using the KODI dvdplayer and this is exactly what should occur.

What isn't happening is your display is not switching into 3D TAB mode. If you had a Samsung, I provided a link for an add-on that will switch your display to this mode automatically for you. I'm not familiar with how to auto switch other panels so I assume you will need to do it manually. If you find a way to automate this for your panel, please share for others.
Brazen, everything's working OK here, but PowerDVD insists in opening after I close it down and return to Kodi.

I really don't know what to do to solve this issue.

Could you help me?
My LG switches automatically but unsure on other makes.

Can always just press the 3d button
My question is simple i think. Why exactly do we need to trigger the nvidia exe to flip to 3d. Shouldn't the software in powerdvd or total media theater flip that switch automatically?
Hi Guys,

can you please tell me if powerdvd or arcsofts total media players can play bluray iso's with full menus? including 3d bluray iso files with full menus? Or do they just play the film directly?

Im about to dive into this tutorial to setup my windows 7 machine to play bluray 3d iso files in an external player, hence i was just wondering which one i should go for: powerdvd or totalmedia?

Thanks!
(2015-09-19, 17:08)brazen1 Wrote: [ -> ]Sure, I'll help you out. This solution is also unique since I could find no reference to this behavior anywhere and it's not elegant. I've been using it for about a month now. My PC is an 'All In One' box and there are no side affects for other computing uses. Windows 10 behavior with Nvidia wants stereoscopic to always be enabled and after booting into windows they do exactly that. This presents multiple problems developers did not consider for some users under certain circumstances. Unfortunately, toggling stereoscopic on and off in a .bat command no longer works properly with the switch using W10 so this is how to fix that bug. This new task will now toggle nvstlink to disable when user starts or logs on to windows. When 3D is needed, the code will enable and disable when it's no longer needed so everything functions normally during a session. Upon the next start or logon, this task will ensure another smooth transition. This is important because a session may consist of various 2D and 3D viewings.
I'm going to assume you and others can read the directions without pics. There are many ways to do this but I suggest you do it exactly like this:

Open Task Scheduler.
In the left pane, highlight Task Scheduler Library.
In the right pane, select New Folder and name it Stereoscopic.
In the left pane, expand Task Scheduler Library.
Right click Stereoscopic folder and select Create Task.

General tab/Name/ type Stereoscopic.
Check Run only when user is logged on and Run with highest privileges.
Configure for: Windows 10 or whatever your O/S is.

Triggers tab/New
Begin the task: At startup.
Enabled is the only thing checked.
Select Ok.
Select New again.
Begin the task: At logon.
Check Any user and Enabled then click Ok.

Actions tab/New
Start a program.
Browse to "C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\3D Vision\nvstlink.exe".
Add arguments (Optional): Type /disable.
Click Ok.
Click Ok again.

When windows boots to the desktop, your panel will flash to black for a moment. This is stereoscopic being disabled via your new task and allows the codes to function as they did using older O/S's and drivers.

Please rate this thread as you see fit and let me know if this works as well for you as it does for me.

Hello,

I have been working my way through this guide step by step and have stumbled across the same issues which triggered your solution above. The only difference is that I am using Intel Graphics as opposed to Nvidia. I have a win 10 installation with PDVD 15. Any ideas how to fix for Intel? Would appreciate any hints / suggestions.

Also one additional point. My display is 4k and when the BD playback in PDVD stops, it.changes my setting in Win 10 to the native 4K screen resolution although I was using 1920 X 1080 (3D) prior to starting playback.

Thx,

BB
*EDIT*
This no longer works with my newer 4k panel but it may still work for you?

afedchin build with Nvidia:

Builds found here msdk_mvc_wip.exe http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/win32/

Disregard Task Manager Setup.
Change Nvidia Resolutions as described in 1st post but leave Stereoscopic ENABLED.

Player settings:
Adjust display refresh rate on start/stop
Decode the stereo stream from 3D enabled
Playback mode preferred
Disable 3D when finished enabled

System settings:
Display:
Resolution 1920x1080
Refresh Rate 60
Use fullscreen enabled
Stereoscopic 3D current is disabled
Preferred same as movie

Download Intel_Media_SDK_2016.msi from Intel website. You will need to register with them to gain access to the download. Once installed, check you have Intel Media SDK 2016 is 1.7 (Intel_Media_SDK_2016.0.1) info in programs folder.

Run the stereoscopic setup in Nvidia control panel and ENABLE stereoscopic. The main quirk, when 24Hz matched refresh rate is switched, Nvidia enables 3D for 2D titles, has been addressed. When Kodi starts, 3D is disabled globally (system wide) allowing 2D 24Hz titles to render correctly. When a 3D title is selected, Kodi will enable 3D globally and turn it back off when finished. When exiting Kodi, 3D will again be enabled globally. The GUI runs at 60Hz as it should, and titles run at perfect frame rate such as 23.976. Do not change any refresh rates in Windows or Nvidia control panel except as outlined after running sterescopic setup in Nvidia control panel.

Add this to your advancedsettings.xml or create if you don't have one:

<advancedsettings>
<video>
<forcemodechangebeforestereo>true</forcemodechangebeforestereo>
<usedisplaycontrolhwstereo>true</usedisplaycontrolhwstereo>
</video>
</advancedsettings>

The Kodi GUI context menu (keyboard press C) 'Playback Using' will now contain 2D, 3D (both external player) and Video Player (Kodi internal player) you can select for choices of playback.

Since afedchin build DISABLES global stereoscopic when Kodi is opened, you will need to manually ENABLE it for 3D external playback.
Here's how to do it:

Create 3D ENABLE.bat. I placed mine in the Documents folder.

@echo OFF

"C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\3D Vision\nvstlink.exe" /enable

EXIT

Create 3D DISABLE.bat also in the Documents folder.

@echo OFF

"C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\3D Vision\nvstlink.exe" /disable

EXIT

Install plugin.program.advanced.launcher-master https://github.com/angelscry/plugin.prog...d.launcher
There is nothing to configure. Open the app. Select default. Select context menu (Keyboard C). Select Create New Launcher. Navigate to 3D ENABLE.bat you just created. Do the same for 3D DISABLE.bat. These now appear as links in Advanced Launcher. Select context menu again and add each link to Favorites. I created a 3D MOVIES folder in my main menu. I then created a favorites link in 3D MOVIES submenu. When I want to use an external player to render a 3D title, I navigate to this submenu and select 3D ENABLE before I start the external player and select 3D DISABLE when finished.
First I would like to thank Brazen for this great and detailed post. I implemented your guide with my LG TV using a NUC and it has been working great.

I was able to get a free upgraded copy of PowerDVD16 (through my work) - so I got the licence and upgraded from PDVD15 to PDVD16 Ultra. Since upgrading I've been having some issues that I can't seem to sort through.

It appears that Kodi is trying to open (or maybe PDVD16 is doing it) - but I keep getting an error where multiple instances of PDVD16 is trying to open. This messes up everything in a bad way and can't seem to get it corrected.

Short of starting from scratch - I am just curious if anyone else is having issues with PDVD16 Ultra, Kodi 16.1 on a Win10 setup.

Thanks for your help

Darthgup
Small Question...

I'm using kodi quite a long time, but even with a new buied intel nuc I could not bring the 3D option (Flow from intel nuc 34010wyk to Denon AVR3313 and to Epson TW9100) to run. When I read this article it seems, that Kodi only works with 3D if I use an "external" Player like Stereoscopic Player. Is this correct?

regards
bondi
No.

Following this guide, you have a choice of using the KODI internal player and/or an external player selected from the 'Play Using' menu or let it default to the correct one by simply pressing enter on any title.
The 'Play Using' option is for your convenience to override the default player and select your preference accessed from the © context menu.
Yeah, that's what I saw, but neither with the intel nuc and Kodi nor with a new Himedia Q10 Pro with Kodi I'm capable to play 3d movies, just with the older medi8ter it is possible to play 3d content (3d mkv files) Sad Got a lot of grey hairs about this 3d theme...
So there is no way to trigger TV 3D mode if I play 3D mkv files?
Depends how smart your panel/projector is.

My older smart Samsung needed some help to auto trigger the correct 3D mode based on the various types and containers of 3D titles explained in this guide.

My newer smart Samsung auto switches every type of 3D title there is without any add-on or intervention needed.

I simply press play and turn on my glasses. The code and the panel take care of the rest.

I don't own an NUC or any of the other dedicated little boxes so I can't help you with them and their problems.

I use Windows 10 Anniversary installed on desktop/laptop Intel and Nvidia with latest v.17 nightly and PDVD 16 now.
Brazen,

I modified your XML code just a tad & got everything working perfectly. I needed ALL ISO's (Irrespective of 2D/3D) to play in PowerDVD Ultra 16, and everything seems to be working really well. Thanks for the wonderful guide.

So my question is: I have an ASUS Extrenal Blu-ray Player (Writer) connected to my HTPC which I want to use to play all my Blu-ray Discs (Physical Media). I'm not exactly sure how to handle this in Kodi, as I'm very new to Kodi. I'd like to play these physical Discs in PowerDVD Ultra, just like I play the ISO's in my library.

Right now if I insert a disc, absolutely nothing happens in Kodi. I can exit Kodi, launch PowerDVD & play the Disc, but I'd really like to handle it within Kodi so I'm never really leaving Kodi.

Any advice?

Thanks!
Navigate to Videos/Files. (I made a home page, submenu, shortcut)
Select your BDROM drive.
Bring up the context menu by pressing 'C' on your keyboard or mapped remote button.
Select 'Play Using'.
Select 2D or 3D.
PDVD should open and begin playback.