Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: MythTV front-end client built-into to XBMC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
well the manual could be updated, but common, the myth support is still very very basic. recording and livetv. when we get epg it could be a point in spreading the word Smile
elupus Wrote:well the manual could be updated, but common, the myth support is still very very basic. recording and livetv. when we get epg it could be a point in spreading the word Smile
I think you don't give yourself enough credit. The functionality you've added so far is wonderful. The ease with which you can watch live tv now is indispensible. Recordings are easy to find, and easy to delete once viewed.

I think the commerical skip feature is a bit more desirable than the program guide. My feeling is that mythweb is easy enough to setup and use making the EPG kind of a secondary toy. That is, unless you see native frontend support in XBMC trying to parallel the frontend support provided by mythtfrontend.

I'd love to see stacked recording lists (organized by program). I do know a bit of C++ but wouldn't have a clue of where to start. I have the utmost respect for the work you have done. Thanks!
barney_1 Wrote:That is, unless you see native frontend support in XBMC trying to parallel the frontend support provided by mythtfrontend.
One can always hope and dream, see:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=28918
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=GSoC_Project..._back-ends

Nerd
Gamester17 Wrote:http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=GSoC_Project..._back-ends

Holy crap, that's outrageous! I was excited to hear that XBMC was participating in google's summer of code again. I had no idea this was on the list of proposed projects. Outstanding!

I have my mythtv backend in the livingroom because I use it as a frontend as well. Of course, one of my two xbox's is also in the living room.... this one:
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=545574

If this comes through, perhaps I can relegate the backend (which also servers as the network server) to a closet somewhere.
barney_1 Wrote:I think the commerical skip feature is a bit more desirable than the program guide. My feeling is that mythweb is easy enough to setup and use making the EPG kind of a secondary toy. That is, unless you see native frontend support in XBMC trying to parallel the frontend support provided by mythtfrontend.

Personally I have all of my recordings automatically converted to xvid then renamed and added to my tv folders where they then get scanned into my xbmc library. Then there is really no need for skipping commericials, it saves space and it keeps all of my show in one spot (ie the library) Like you, I do all of my recording setup through myth web. So my main use of myth is the live tv feature. The skin view i have been working on shows the channel, show title and episode info all on the screen at once which is pretty similar actually to a program guide. Obviously I can't see what is playing an hour from now but that is just a small inconvenience. Long story short. I am very very happy with the work elupus and all the other devs have done Big Grin Cheers.
I know some other people were having DNS issues, I'm just unclear if there is a solution. XBMC is listing my channels and recordings, but when I try to play one it hangs. Here's my XBMC log:

Quote:11:39:23 M: 39460864 NOTICE: DVDPlayer: Opening: myth://mythtv:[email protected]/recordings/4901_20080326003700.mpg
11:39:23 M: 39460864 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue:Tongueut MSGQ_NOT_INITIALIZED
11:39:23 M: 38936576 NOTICE: Creating InputStream
11:39:23 M: 38936576 ERROR: DNS lookup for mythtv failed: 11001
11:39:23 M: 38936576 ERROR: XFILE::CCMythFile::SetupRecording - unable to connect to file
11:39:23 M: 38936576 ERROR: InputStream: Error opening, myth://mythtv:[email protected]/recordings/4901_20080326003700.mpg

Thanks so much!
Not a perfect solution but....
Mythweb is actually really functional. What if we just used mythweb as an epg? It would already include all of the recording options you could possibly want and it wouldn't seem too difficult to add a "Play Now" button to the first entry of the epg that would then pass the channel info to dvdplayer and start the channel playing. This is just kind of a brainstorm right now. It is possible in the current state of things if you launch firefox through a python script with the mythweb address added to the command. (referring to the linux build right now). The only issue with that is that it launches an external window so you lose that seamless integration factor. However, at some point I am assuming that XBMC will have the ability to launch linux programs inside an xbmc window. If the window opened inside xbmc it would be a pretty good solution to the problem.

Pros:
It would be skinnable and perhaps could be merged with xbmc's current webcontrol.
Most of the work is already done and all the functionality is there.

Cons:
Not a true "internal" solution
xbox version would lack a web-browser.
Is specific for mythtv, ok for now but later if xbmc tries to support other pvr backends it could be a problem. Unless the others also have a fairly nice webinterface.

Just some thoughts.
I am using T3CH lastest SVN build. Like some others, on livetv I get a list of channels and current listings. When I select a channel my xbox locks up tighter than a ducks arse. I will pull the logs as well, but want to make sure that the .21 client is part of the current build. If not, that is my problem as I made the mistake of updating to the current mythbuntu without checking to see if xbmcmythtv or this project supported the current client. Dopey me.
Just noticed this but it doesn't look like channel Icons are working any more. It picks up the autogenerated thumbs for the shows but the channel logos. Cheers.
well currently a working dns server is a must to have on the network. i will add a way to add static entries soon, just haven't gotten around to it yet.
I have a similar problem with rtsp streams in the TV Server plugin I wrote. I currently do a hackish assume that the machine name = the IP that the master server is. I think it would be nice if we could just do a netbios lookup for any hosts of DNS fails?
I added a custom DNS option on my dd-wrt router (address=/mythtv/192.168.1.101), and added the router as a dns server on my xbox. Fixed that dns problem right up.

Now I'm having trouble with buffering on my crappy 802.11b network. I only have a 50% signal strength so it doesn't surprise me, but what IS odd is that I don't have any problems with buffering/stuttering on mythtv proper on the same xbox/connection. I set my local network video cache to the max (16MB) and it didn't help, just made the buffering take even longer Smile

Gives me a good excuse to pickup a La Fon router, put dd-wrt on it and use it as a bridge so I'm working with 802.11g. Just seems peculiar mythfrontend handles buffering so much better than xbmc.
Skitals
I have done the same thing here on my openwrt router. Enabeled dnsmasq and added the mythbackend to the host file, and its working now.
Im allso having some trouble with buffering over wireless, depending of bitrates. If I set the live tv bitrate to over 5000kb/s (audio to 192kb/s), it works fine, but any higher I get buffering. My network is 802.11g.
You could try to play your streams with mplayer, I got less stuttering/buffering with mplayer.

Over smb I can stream movies with higher bitrates without any buffering problems, maybe live tv stream is more demanding?.
Just to test I transfeered a file from a smb share to my wireless xbox (from xbox filemanager) and the transfeere speed was between 2200-2400 KB/s, so in theory I should be able to set higher bitrates than 5000 Kb/s.
elupus Wrote:well currently a working dns server is a must to have on the network. i will add a way to add static entries soon, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

A working DNS setup won't change a thing regarding the issues with XBMC on the XBOX. As you stated the other day, the problem lies in how the XBOX does the name resolution. However, Skitals solution with dnsmasq does provide a workaround, until a solution will be provided in XBMC.

I don't own a router, but uses a *BSD box as my gateway. So instead I installed dnsmasq on my MythTV backend system, and added the hostname to the hosts file. I then changed the DHCP settings for my XBOX, so that the the first DNS server provided is the MythTV backend system running dnsmask. This way I got the possibility to do shortname lookups.

I now have a working XBMC - XBOX MythTV solution with the T3CH build from the 23th of March.

/M