Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: MythTV front-end client built-into to XBMC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
InKaKiLLeR
well it has fixed it for many people already. i'm not sure what the xbox actually does, but i suppose it could very well be sending requests without dns suffix. i'll add a way of configuring the xbox dns suffix manually. don't think it's possible to get from dhcp with the xdk dhcp client.
Could a MytH/XBMC user be so kind and post a screenshot so I get an understanding how this implementation is now built into the Videos Menu ?

THX

PT-1
InKaKiLLeR Wrote:I don't own a router, but uses a *BSD box as my gateway. So instead I installed dnsmasq on my MythTV backend system, and added the hostname to the hosts file. I then changed the DHCP settings for my XBOX, so that the the first DNS server provided is the MythTV backend system running dnsmask. This way I got the possibility to do shortname lookups.

I now have a working XBMC - XBOX MythTV solution with the T3CH build from the 23th of March.
/M

I tried this on my mythbuntu backend. I could not find a way to run DNS without running DHCP. I am a bit concerned about a second DHCP server on the LAN. My xboxes all have static IP addresses. I expect that I am going to wait for elepus to solve it so I can just input the IP address like I do with the xbmcmythtv script. I don't want to reflash my router either just for this.

Can anyone confirm that the current CVS/SVN version is compatible with a .21 myth backend? The DNS issue is irrelevant to me if the current version is not using protocol 40.
pt-1 Wrote:Could a MytH/XBMC user be so kind and post a screenshot so I get an understanding how this implementation is now built into the Videos Menu ?

THX

PT-1
Can't do a screen shot, but if you go into videos and create source like:

myth://username:password@backendipaddress

when you click on it, it will bring up Recordings and Livetv.
In place of the stupid smiley put a colon and a 'p' and in colon password.
Ok, I finaly got the mythtv backend (only) running. All seems to be fine. I've configured the backend so that I can connect to it from my XBOX. The XBOX won't connect (yet) but my XBMC for Linux (on the same machine as the MythTV Backend) does! I have a "Live TV" and "Recordings" folder and I can see the configured channels. But when I try to start a channel, nothing happens. This is the log from console where I've only started XBMC, went directly to Films->MythTV->LiveTV and started a channel. After this I've closed XBMC4Lin and copied the output in the console...

Code:
WARNING: The XBMC_HOME environment variable is not set.
(cmyth)cmyth_conn_connect: asked for version 8, got version 40
(cmyth)cmyth_conn_connect: asked for version 40, got version 40
(cmyth)__cmyth_rcv_proginfo: got recording info
(cmyth)cmyth_connect: cannot resolve hostname ''
(cmyth)cmyth_conn_connect_file: cmyth_connect(, 6543, 16384) failed
(cmyth)cmyth_livetv_chain_setup: cmyth_conn_connect_file(myth://:6543) failed
CRITSEC[0x8c4b004]: Trying to enter destroyed section.
CritSect[0x8c4b004]: Some other thread trying to leave our critical section.WARNING: The XBMC_HOME environment variable is not set.
(cmyth)cmyth_connect: cannot resolve hostname ''
(cmyth)cmyth_conn_connect_file: cmyth_connect(, 6543, 16384) failed
(cmyth)cmyth_livetv_chain_setup: cmyth_conn_connect_file(myth://:6543) failed
CRITSEC[0x8c4b004]: Trying to enter destroyed section.
CritSect[0x8c4b004]: Some other thread trying to leave our critical section.

The location I use to connect with the backend (on the same machine) is myth://myth:[email protected]
The mythbackend is configured to accept remote connections (external eth address => 10.1.1.212 ; pin 0000). What am I missing?
lingenfr_xbmc, I'm using using XBMC with current Myth SVN. Works with a single tuner. I'm have issues with my second tuner though.
Bram77, seems like the DNS Problem.

When XBMC connect to the Myth Backend for Channel Listing or recordings it uses the configured settings. (In my case myth://mythtv:xxxx@mythtv:6543/channels/30.ts). You the Backend responds to a Recording or LiveTV request it changes the URL to the Backends host name. (Again in my case myth://Myth-TV:6543/myth/recording/livetv/1030_20080328152465.mpg)

Therefore a service is required to resolve Myth-TV. In my case I use the linuc /etc/hosts file. Others use DNS settings in there router. Both work.

The thing I find odd about your case is the it's blank. Wonder is your hostname on the backend is not set properly?
Thanks for the response. That's exacly what I was thinking.
Where does libcmith get the hostname from. I was looking at the source, but I can only find pointers to 'server', so far.
What I find even less understandable is that myth://mythtv:[email protected] does provide a connection, but when that connection is used for opening a file it doesn't work. I'd think the same connection info is used in both cases. Or would an empty server var automatically result in the assumption the server is 'localhost'?
Maybe this reveals a bit more in the mystery... Mythweb doesn't have access to mysql

Code:
Database Access Denied

You are most likely receiving this message because you
have failed to configure mythweb's database login info.

Please see INSTALL for instructions.
Bram77, I believe the connections info for actually watching a recording/livetv is sent from the Myth Backend. The Channel Number or Recording Name are converted to actual file information when you choose a Channel or Recording.

I would check "hostname" on your backend and make sure its set and check the Backend Configuration under the General tab.
lingenfr_xbmc Wrote:I tried this on my mythbuntu backend. I could not find a way to run DNS without running DHCP. I am a bit concerned about a second DHCP server on the LAN. My xboxes all have static IP addresses. I expect that I am going to wait for elepus to solve it so I can just input the IP address like I do with the xbmcmythtv script. I don't want to reflash my router either just for this.

Can anyone confirm that the current CVS/SVN version is compatible with a .21 myth backend? The DNS issue is irrelevant to me if the current version is not using protocol 40.

lingenfr_xbmc,

If you install the dnsmasq package (sudo aptitude install dnsmasq) on your mythbuntu box, and use the stock configuration no DHCP server will be started, check with netstat -an |grep 68.

I'm using 0.21 mythbackend with T3CH latest.

/M
joebidalli Wrote:Bram77, I believe the connections info for actually watching a recording/livetv is sent from the Myth Backend. The Channel Number or Recording Name are converted to actual file information when you choose a Channel or Recording.

I would check "hostname" on your backend and make sure its set and check the Backend Configuration under the General tab.

I made a backup of my channel configuration table and deleted and uninstalled everything everything that has anything to do with mythtv. Now I have reinstalled and reconfigured everything. Now at least the mythfrontend is working as expected. But when I start the a channel from XBMC4lin my session crashes. I have to do a CTRL+ALT+backspace to regain control. So I can't check the output in my console. Is there anywhere where I can find a log that contains the information I'm looking for?
joebidalli Wrote:lingenfr_xbmc, I'm using using XBMC with current Myth SVN. Works with a single tuner. I'm have issues with my second tuner though.

That is probably all or part of the problem. I have two tuners in my master backend and one in a slave backend.