Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: MythTV front-end client built-into to XBMC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
agaffney Wrote:However, when I try to actually view anything (live or pre-recorded), it acts like it's playing but I just get a black screen. This still works fine with the actual mythfrontend and this backend.

The other problem is that when I choose "Guides", nothing happens. Is this part supposed to work yet?

This has been covered before, but this thread is quite long now...

To get the myth:// protocol to play any of the Recorded Shows or watch Live TV you have to tell XBMC what the IP addres is of the MythTV backend server. This is done by creating and adding information to the AdvancedSettings.xml file (http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=AdvancedSettings.xml) on your XBox (instructions on the wiki page).

Code:
<advancedsettings>
<hosts>
<entry name="[b]MythBackend hostname[/b]">[b]MythBackend IP address[/b]</entry>
</hosts>
</advancedsettings>

More information about the <hosts> section is at http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=AdvancedSettings.xml

This needs to be done because the standard DNS behaviour on the XBox is a bit average and the myth:// protocol gets the hostname when it connects rather than the IP address. If you check a debug version of your xbmc.log file you'll almost certainly notice some DNS lookup failures for the name of your MythBackend server.
dteirney Wrote:This needs to be done because the standard DNS behaviour on the XBox is a bit average and the myth:// protocol gets the hostname when it connects rather than the IP address. If you check a debug version of your xbmc.log file you'll almost certainly notice some DNS lookup failures for the name of your MythBackend server.

I created that file and uploaded it. It doesn't seem to have made a difference, even after rebooting the xbox. Looking at the debug log, it seems to be able to contact the server just fine. It acts like it's playing, but it's just black (the OSD and everything show up fine).

In the debug log, while it's playing, there are 20+ lines per second like:

Code:
00:13:01 M: 33517568   DEBUG: CDVDPlayerAudio:: Discontinuty - was:6417133.793037, should be:6384328.243574, error:-32805.549463

And when I choose the "Guide" option, nothing happens, but I get the following in the log:

Code:
00:17:45 M: 42139648   ERROR: DIRECTORY::CCMythDirectory::GetGuide - unable to get list of channels with url myth://mythtv:[email protected]/guide
00:17:45 M: 42139648   ERROR: CGUIMediaWindow::GetDirectory(myth://mythtv:[email protected]/guide/) failed
What versions of the mythtv backend are people trying this with? Perhaps I'll try to downgrade to the 0.20 release instead of using this 0.21pre SVN build.
.21 from latest Mythbuntu
0.21 from latest Ubuntu.
I now use 0.21 from mythbuntu, however I had better results using the ubuntu 0.20+fixes.
I was wrong about the version I'm using. It's actually 0.21+fixes. The ebuild name in Gentoo had a SVN revision in it, so I naturally assumed that it was a pre-release version Rolleyes
I'm using the latest version of whatever's in KnoppMyth. I think it's 0.20 or so.
I am having a problem playing Mythtv recordings located on a linux machine.

The LAN is wired 100MB. Playing live tv works fine. I can browse the recordings folder and see the list of recording programs complete with thumbnails however when I try to play a file the xbox hangs and requires a power on restart.

The xbmc log suggests it can't locate my recordings directory myth://mythtv:[email protected]/recordings/...

http://pastebin.ca/1065793

All the recordings play fine when accessing via an SMB share. Any suggestions? thanks

paul
Paul,

I haven't used this, so I'm not sure, but see post 481 in this thread about adding a host entry to your advancedsettings.xml file.

That's what it sounds like to me.

-Wes
pshepherd:
It failes to find your recorded file.
Disable upnp client in xbmc from settings. Turn up debug level (check xbmc manual on how, it's in advancedsettings.xml.) try to open ONE recording. post the new debug log.
elupus Wrote:pshepherd:
It failes to find your recorded file.
Disable upnp client in xbmc from settings. Turn up debug level (check xbmc manual on how, it's in advancedsettings.xml.) try to open ONE recording. post the new debug log.

Done as requested - first file I selected it played ok, next one I tried it hung again. Log is below.

http://pastebin.ca/1066990

I can try other files if that will you diagnose. Thanks

Paul
I can say with almost 100% certainty your problem is that mythtv chokes on the spaces in the basename of the file. I just tried it with my working system, going into the database editing the file name to include space and renaming the file on the disk. MythTV plays it fine, but cmyth_proginfo_get_from_basename() fails.

Looking at the code for MythTV (programs/mythbackent/mainserver.cpp), it splits the incoming command at the space, truncating the file name. I'd try recompiling libcmyth with quotes around the basename but I am late for beer.

Note in your log the file that plays fine still has the proper recorded basename CHANID_STARTTIME.mpg but the one that does't has a human-readable name.
Thanx CapnBry, that saves me the trouble of debugging it Smile.
This is kinda a mess. It can be worked around in XBMC by doing a cmyth_proglist_get_all_recorded and then enumerating the list to find the basename. However that's dumb* because it really needs to be fixed in mythtv. It actually mutilates the filename by compressing whitespace when it gets it.

I'll work with mythtv to get a fix, but Paul the immediate solution to your problem is to not rename your recordings. If you want human-readable names, create another directory and use mythrename.pl to build a symbolic link tree leaving the original filenames intact.

*dumb as it is, I can whip up a patch to do that if you want elupus.